Digital Instruments

Guest SEgan

Guest SEgan

The ford speedo on my car could never have been described as accurate and now it has started to develop a bit of needle wobble I think it's time for a change. As I plan to upgrade my dash to 'post' SVA style I have decided to invest in a digital dash. I have about £100 pounds to spend and have been looking at some basic digital instruments (Acewell and Vapor) what are peoples experiences of them? Do they work??? I have a bike speedo at present but it's functionality is a little limited by the time it takes to update, do these suffer the same problems?

Any recommendations for my modest budget.

post-408-1179163318_thumb.jpg

Thanks in advance for your help

Sean

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have a veypor in my 2B

The veypor is nothing like the bicycle ones and update instantly as they don't just rely on the magnets. In the setting up it works out all your gear ratios and then uses a combination of the revs, which gear you are in, and the magnet to work out speed.

Mine is about 18 months old now and has never missed a beat.

The new ones look much better though.......

Guest tom2b

If your needles wobbling its probably a pinched / heat warped clutch cable as alot of them run too close to the manifold. Try replacing it, running it through some 3cm wide heat shielding and make up a bracket so it sits away from the manifold before playing with a digital speedo unless thats what you want.

Remember the standard clocks over read by ten percent so theres less chance of gettin caught speeding. If your speedo shows the true speed be more careful near cameras!

If your needles wobbling its probably a pinched / heat warped clutch cable as alot of them run too close to the manifold. Try replacing it, running it through some 3cm wide heat shielding and make up a bracket so it sits away from the manifold before playing with a digital speedo unless thats what you want.

Remember the standard clocks over read by ten percent so theres less chance of gettin caught speeding. If your speedo shows the true speed be more careful near cameras!

Do you mean speedo cable and not clutch cable?

Benefit of elecronic ones is you can set them up to read as accurate as you like ( cuurently set mine reading slightly over for the benefit of the cameras )

Guest bytesize

I have been using an AceWell for around 8 months now with absolutely no problem whatsoever. Instead of using magnets for the input I fitted the MT75 gearbox speed sensor (grabbed one from a Granada/Scorpio in the scrappies) absolutely spot on and easy to calibrate.

Biggest issue I had was getting the Tacho to stabilise, finaly attached it to the LT on the coil, the problem here being it doesnt deal with 4 cyl 4 strokes and so tells you, you are doing twice the actual revs, an easy thing to live with, not many Rovers engines rev to 10,000rpm. Eventually I will get round to building a little elctronic circuit which will divide the input by two and get back to a real value.

post-1672-1179273864_thumb.jpg

http://community.rhocar.org/index.php?act=...&pid=117227

" In Topic: Hall Effect For Electronic Speedo"

I have a SuperSpec with an MT75 gearbox and was constantly breaking Speedo Cables. The cable drive was fine untill you really put your foot down then the cable gave way under hard acceleration.

I ended up buying an Acewell Digital Speedo from the 16vMini Guys £65, and an MT75 electronic output unit from a Scorpio £5, god bless the local scrappy. (This way you dont end up with magnets and switch's)

The gearbox sender was a doddle to fit, remove the existing blanking plate and fit the sender - 10 minute job.

We ballanced the signal, dropped the output level from the gearbox sender from 12v down to 6v for the speedo input (simple resistor bridge - about 30p worth) and connected it to the Speedo, hey presto, perfect stable reading up to 70MPH.

If anyone is interested let me know and I will send you the details of what you connect and how you ballance the inputs.

Acewell 3100, nice little unit and fully road legal, Speedo, Tacho, Shift Indicator, Fuel Guage, Trip meter's, a lot of function for not a lot of money... Oh and it has a really cool blue backlit screen..

Guest SMR610
i have a koso and am very impressed with it for the money

Hi Dave,

I`ve just bought a Koso and your right it`s a nice bit of kit.

Have you got the fuel gauge on it working? if so what

sender are you using?

Cheers

Allan

ps.. can`t comment on the Acewell but a mate has just bought a

Vapor for his bike and it`s rather nice, also if you want the surround

with the idiot lights in it`s much cheaper than the one for the Acewell.

see me earlier post re fuel tanks!

but yet the sender should work

bought a bike sender unit off of ebay

cant rememebr what from, but after grafing the ford and the bike one together, it looks like it will work

what one did you buy ?

i got the dyno one

I bought the RX1N.. Have you got any piccies of

your modified sender.

Cheers

Allan

will see what i can do

hopefully will remmeber to take a pick before i bolt it back in

dont look like it will be ready in time to go on saturday in it ;(

but might save me gettin wet!

dave

Guest SMR610