Burns On Legs

Guest nippykev

Guest nippykev

Hi all

There seems to be a lot of leg burning going on with these cars.

Is this a test like when David Caradine picks up that hot urn when he leaves the Kung Fu temple?

Is this burning optional or is it part of the SVA?

Kevin

2b may 2003

HA Ha :p Yes, funny.

If I burn my leg on the car then it's my stupid fault, but what if one of my children brunt theirs? they are aged 4 & 7, how bad would I feel :o

I saw a car at one of the shows with an exhaust gaurd running the full lenkth of it and attached to the car, I'm going to have to make somthing the same. Has anyone else done this? any pictures?

Guy

Steven Altwasser had one made for his DOHC and there's a photo on his website. He's not a RHOCaR member (EDIT - Yes he is - Membership No 482 - Mick M) and I don't have his site address to hand but will post something when I get back home if I have time.

I have seen heat shield bandage wrapped round the exhaust header of a Lotus 7 before - looks a bit ugly but does the trick.

I can't imagine how one could build a heat shield going all the way from the bonnet to the silencer without it looking crap. Let me know if you find a suitable design. My kids are 3 and 1 yrs old and I know what you mean.

The other thing that occurred to me (considering bandaging the exhaust) was that you'd be just passing the heat further down the pipe - would the silencer really handle this or would its life be shortened?

Cheers,

JonB

the nicest one that I've seen, was on Mr Sheens 2B, I've just had a look for a photo, but can't find a good one. I personally don't want to put a guard over it, it doesn't look right, but I agree completely about the worry of someone else, especially children burning themselves. I tend to hang around the car for a while until I know that if touched, it would certainly feel hot, but not do any damage to a kiddies leg. (it doesn't stop them using the silencer as a step, to look / climb inside the car, even with their parent watching and saying/ doing nowt, little B*****d!) :angry:

I don't hate children, just parents that haven't taught them right from wrong! :angry: :angry:

(in fact I quite like them........can't manage a whole one, not with bread as well!!) ;)

That looks mighty fine, that's the sort of thing I need. It's nicly hidden under the wing (which mine doesn't have).

I've seen that sort of sheet metal with holes, in various hardware stores. I'm sure I can come up with somthing to do the job.

I'm supprised that there's nothing in the SVA about protecting people from heat, do you think I should sugest it to them?

Don't you think that they can dream up rules & regs without any help from us?

As I said, I certainly don't think that they look 'right' with a long guard on, and Sheen's old car must be the nicest one out there.

But it does bring out a very valid point about us making sure that no-one else burns themselves on our cars.

I certainly think that we would be on a loser if taken to court. What does our Lawyer man think?

we all need to be aware of the problem.

Kev's exhaust guard looked pretty but it wouldn't do much for performance it was made out of something like 3mm stainless. It started life as a tube which he had cut along it's length opened up and the end formed and re-welded. The whole thing was then polished. Oh and all those holes were drilled by hand. That's why he got so much when he sold it. I'm still surprised it didn't make the car lean with the extra weight on that side though.

Iain

• 1 month later...