Radiator

Guest nelly

Wotcha,

I spent a fun afternoon at the scrappy last weekend, which ended up with me pulling the rad out of a Fiat Uno (and getting very wet shoes in the process). There were two different sized ones in different cars but the one I took was nice and small - only around 15" wide by 12" deep, including the expansion/filler tank on one side. It has an integral electric thermostatic fan to boot.

I reckon with a couple of home made brackets it'll fit nice and easy, but I'm wondering if it has the balls to cool the 2 litre pinto.

Does anyone have any experience of fitting/running rads other than the provided Cortina type?

Cheers,

nelly

Nelly

If the rad is slightly too small...all that will happen is the fan will run for longer to dissipitate a said amount of energy (in the from of heat). If the fan never stops runing now its winter...you will have problems the next time the air temp reaches 38 deg C :o

The only other possible problem I can see is the flow rate through the rad not being high enough to move energy away from the engine, but I do not think you will see this problem. :)

Now you have the rad...I would fit it and watch the temp gauge...my bet is it will work fine...

Dave

Cheers Dave, Jim,

I'll let you know how I get on when I get to that stage. It's a little way off yet but I couldn't ignore the chance to nab such a neat rad!

Nelly

Hi Nelly, I use a fiat 127 rad in mine it is a new one with copper tubes and fine alloy fins, it runs fine on my 2 litre. The place I bought it from had fitted a couple to caterhams. Following his advice I fitted a low temp switch in the rad, about 75° I think. as he said if the fan doesn't switch in until the water is about 90+ in the bottom of the rad then it may be too late anyway.

Peter.

Hmm,

Low temp switch. Where might I find that sort of thing - is it a Fiat item or do you think Europa or someone like that might have it? Bear in mind my complete noviceness. Novicosity? Novication? Incompetence.

nelly

Ooh - nearly forgot,

Jim - to save you dying of old age waiting for a photo of the installed rad, I'll take one of it later so you can get an idea of the size. It really is likely to be a while before it goes in - still stripping the donor and preparing parts!

Cheers,

nelly

Nope -

Just assumed that a man with your obvious vast wealth of knowledge and experience couldn't, surely, be a day less than ooh, let's say ... 35?

... give or take

!!!

Low temp switch, I bought it from the radiator place, I think there are 2 standard thread sizes for these things, and a couple of different temperatures. The only dissadvantage of the low temperature is that I discovered this year that when it is very hot the fan keeps running even when you are doing 70, ish down the motorway.

Peter.

Guest Battery Bill

jim

If you were 35 now people would comment on how large you were for such a young one! as it is you get away as "Middle age spread" Bit late in your case though.

Hey I have nearly finished the wiring!

Guest ANDY GARTON

WHEN I CAME TO FITTING THE RAD I DIDNT LIKE THE WAY THE CORTINA ONE FITTED SO I TO WENT TO THE SCRAP YARD WITH TAPE MEAUSURE.SETTLED ON A NISSAN MICRA RAD BUT ALSO THOUGHT THAT IT WOULD NOT BE BIG ENOUGH TO DO THE JOB.THE SOLUTION WAS TO FIT TWO, THE FRONT ONE HAVING THE MICRA FAN CONNECTED TO IT.BOTH FIT IN OK AND I'M WORKING ON THE THEORY THAT IT IS WELL ON TOP OF ITS JOB.SO FAR HAVE BEEN TO SVA STATION TWICE, FAN ONLY CUTS IN AFTER ABOUT 10 MINS IDLING.

AG

Andy

How have you fitted 2 rads? Surely not one behind the other! :huh: I don't think this will work very well because of the reduced air flow.

Dave

PS your're caps lock key needs a bit of oil...its stuck on :rolleyes: