Alternator Woes

Guest Jonathan Tall

Guest Jonathan Tall

Oh dear more help needed!

I've got the problem that the Ford alternator sits too close to the 4 into 1 exhaust and steering column.

Has anybody used a nice small alternator??

( I've tried using a Daihatsu alternator from a scrappy, which was small enough but It didn't charge. I know its not the battery 'cos thats new, and I've just got a new Alternator and I still cant get any voltage increase across the battery when revving? does the daihatsu rotate the wrong way?)

I use a Bedford Rascal alternator (made by Mitsubishi) with a modded bracket to line up the pulleys. Has an M8 stud for the heavy battery wire and two 6mm spade connectors in a T formation. The cross piece is marked IG and the stem is marked L. Use the L connector for the wire from the ignition light.

If you don't have a wire from the ignition light connected the alternator sulks and won't play.

Nigel

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Simon cooper

Hi Jonathan,

Jap alternators can be wired differently to your normal ford. They don't all like a direct feed from a bulb. Talk to an automotive sparky that recons the things cos they are all different.

I used one of a 2CV on a 16v Vauxhall a couple of years ago. Worked well but was a little lacking in output if you intend using bells and whistles like heaters.

Also, some alternators use an external voltage regulator so you need to fit that as well.

Good luck

Simon