Brake Compensator - Where Did You Fit It?

Guest Twoscoops

Guest Twoscoops

Can anyone who fitted one of these please tell me where you mounted it..??? I have decided to fit it as I am running discs all round, but I just can't find a suitable place or method to mount it. Also, where did you route all the brake pipes around the engine bay?

Cheers

T.

I fitted mine on the fire wall to the left of the peddle box inside the engine compartment. It's at an angle of about 45deg.

The rear pipe comes out of the back end of the master cylinder, passed the valve and into it's back end, then out of the thin end and back passed the valve and down the tunnel.

My fornt pipes come out of the two front outlets of the master cylinder and down to the right front wheel, the then the other pipe goes accross infront of the rad and onto the left wheel.

I have herd of people failing because they mounted the pipes into the infill pannel so I made a bracket and welded it to the chassis.

Have a look at this thred

Guy,

I have one of the valves that's pictured in the thread you mention, but it's not out of my Sierra yet. My car will have discs front and drums rear, exactly as per the donor. Will I have to mount the thing at the exact same angle as it is in the Sierra or is it not too crucial - I'm all at sea when it comes to understanding the finer points of brake balance!

nelly

Guest Sean Timney

Twoscoops,

I fitted mine in the same place as Phil.......although i'm getting some contact with the gearbox.....may need to move it slightly.

Sean

Guest Twoscoops

Thanks guys...i like the idea of the tunnel fitting but does it not have to be near the front oof the car to actually make it work...????

Cheers

T.

Guest Phil Slater

First, it has to be said there has been some discussion as whether it is necessary to fit the compensator at all, and second I'm no expert, but what follows comes from my reading of various threads on the subject.

So, that said, my understanding is that the compensator works in this way: under braking a ballbearing inside the compensator is forced forward thereby restricting the flow of brake fluid to the rear braking system and so preventing the rear brakes locking up before the front. Part of the force acting on the ballbearing is the nose of the car diving under braking pressure. As the front suspension of a Hood is stiffer than the donor, it will not dive as much, so already the force acting on the ball bearing is decreased and the efficiency of the compensator reduced. So the recommendation is to fit it towards the front of the car and at decreased angle to the horizontal compared to its position on the doner to compensate for the decreased dive. It's also suggested you fit the compensator in such a way so as to allow the angle to horizontal to be easily altered and then, once your Hood is running, you can change it to obtain the optimum effect.

I hope that helps. No doubt any inaccuracies or inadequacy's will be corrected by follow up posts.

Phil Slater

Phil,

a very good explanation of how the valve works.

I fitted mine on the chassis by the servo at a slightly shallower angle than on the sierra for the same reasons.

The rear wheels locked up on my sva test, so failed. I reduced the angle of the valve even more (about 10 degrees from horizontal I think) no problems on the retest.

Les

Guest Phil Slater

Good to know "the angle of the dangle" Les!

I fitted mine at less of angle than on the doner but it was just a guess. Your experince gives me a better start and I'll check the angle for for when I get my car moving.

Phil

not a very good picture, but I used a right angled bracket from somewhere off the sierra.

Bolted the valve to the bracket after making slots in the bracket so the valve could be twisted slightly for adjustment then screwed the bracket from the top onto the down tube of the chassis in the engine bay.

Les