Sva Questions

Guest Captain Daz

Guest Captain Daz

Gents

I'm sure these questions have been asked before but I need a little advice please.

I have two floor strengtheners (1"x1" angle) under the car. The front bolts from the seats go through one and the rear seat bolts and inner harness bolts go through the other. The strengtheners are bolted to the chassis as are the outer harness mounts.

Question: Do either of these strengtheners need to be welded to the chassis? The SVA manual doesn't say. It's seems to be down to the estimation of the examiner as to whether it's strong enough.

Question two: Are the red cover "doomsday/armageddon" style switches illegal for SVA?

Thanks for the help.

Cheers

Daren

Guest Dan_Beeston

Hi Darren,

For the strengtheners, I think bolting will be fine, I had one bolted & one welded for my SVA, neither was commented on (though the tester did have a good poke round the welded one that the rear seat mounts and inner harness mounts were on)

Cheers,

Dan

IMHO, 25mm angle might be judged too small. I think I have seen previous threads where this has been the case. IIRC the RH supplied parts are 50x50x3 angle for the rear cross piece (harness centre fixings and maybe seats, and keyholed for handbrake cable), and maybe 30mm for front cross piece (handbrake lever). I used RH part for front cross piece, 100x6mm flat bar for rear cross piece, and 4off 40x40x3 pieces running front-back for the seat fixings- it is rock solid. Mine were bolted to chassis and passed without comment. HTH, Brian

RH supplied angle was fine for me. I used the 25mm angle at the front to pick up the front seat bolts (my handbrake is tunnel-mounted so did not need to pick up on this angle). I used the 50mm at the rear, bolted with H/T 12mm bolts to the two chassis plates. The inner harness mountings are bolted to this as well as the rear seat mountings.

Anything else you add to beef this up will cost you in weight, but it's a small price to pay for peace of mind.

Guest Captain Daz

Thanks for the help guys.

So I need to get a piece of 50mmx50mmx3mm angle.

Next questions is do the harness bolts need to be captivated? I don't think they do as they can be accessed without having to dismantle/cut in to the chassis. I know the manual says they should but I think it's only if the bolt is difficult to get at.

Cheers

Daren

hi folks, i'm looking do do the same with my tatty pre built for added security/ strengthening. any chance of some pics just to confirm i'm thinking in the same vane as the others !

cheers

dave

Guest FIRSTBUILD

I used the RHE angle but I "linked" the front and rear angle with some 35mm x 3mm flat steel and bolted the seats to these "straps" you can also put the seat bolts through any where you like. - SVA man liked it.

The RHE angle isnt the best around.

Steve

I used the 25 x 25 angle iron except for the one the seat belt mounts go through which I used 40 x 25 ( gave a bit more 'play' for the mountings

Here is a photo of how I did the centre mountings ( this bracket then bolted through the floor on to the 40 x 25 angle iron )

PICT0004.jpg

Guest allenr03

I had SVA today and the examiner was happy with my seat mounts I used the RH supplied seat/handbrake cable mounting angle for the Superspec at tghe back and two lengths of 3mm 25mm flat steel (each just over the full width of the seat subframes) The seats bolt through the chassis floor and the flat steel plates I have. SVA man quite happy with them. I haven't welded anything in!!

Rich