Sticky Tyres

I have preety much decided on wheels for my Series 3 and they will be 6 x 14 Minilites, the reason for this size is a bit of a compramise between looking good and working well.

13 inch rims get a bit lost and i want to fill the arches.

15 inch look a bit big for the Series 3.

So 6 x 14 Minilites with some sticky rubber, i like the look of Yoko A048's and have a choice of

185 60 14 or 195 60 14.

Where can i get them cheaper than Demon Tweeks?

What other alternative makes and types do you recomend.

I may go for more sensible tyres after the novelty has worn off or may have a spare set of cheap alloys and tyres for damp cold conditions.

Guest Alex Spratt
they r road legal, just dont think they wud last too long

they wud last as long as the yoko's and they are ment to be a bit more predicable when u get near there limit!

paul (snapper) ur probable best getting some toyo T1R unless u are just doing track days, as u would need to have silly amounts of power or be driving like a lunatic to full exploit the R888 or A048 on the road!!!

I have been using T1R on my normal car and they are very good and u can get over 10,000miles out of them!!! and they are really cheap in 195 50 r15 form

Guest Ace Fettler

I use Toyo T1Rs as a road tyre (205/50 x 15) on the westy and they work well in both wet and dry, while for track days i switch to yoki AO48's 205/60 x 13 (AO32's previously but no longer available in 13") . Toyos have done over 10,000 miles and are about 1/2 worn which is quite good for a soft compound tyre. I find the AO48's very predictable near the limit with a very progressive breakaway which is catchable with a tweak of opposite lock likewise the 32's. I have heard that some find them unpredictable but that has not been my experience. Heard good reports about the R888's but have not used them myself, but they seem to be a favorite with some of the Barkston regulars.

Hope this helps

Richard

Guest salty_monk

John Walton is getting very good prices on R888's but I don't think they are available in a 14".

15" looks ok on a hood & you get more choice of tyres.

In the pic below mine has 14" wheels on it. If I changed I would go for 13" or 15"...

Dan :)

Guest timswait

14" is a harder size to get tyres for, I've just had a look on a couple of websites and none seem to do Toyo T1-R or R888's in 14, but they do in 15". If I was you I'd get 15" rims and 50 profile, same running diameter (or near as dammit) but more choice of tyre, look better, lower profile so less tyre wall flex and space for bigger brakes if you ever felt so inclined.

I've heard lots of good reports on the R888 on dry tarmac, but not very sensible for all year round use (like the Yokos you mention) I've got T1-R's and although I've not used them very much they do seem good, and a whole lot cheaper!

Confusion has now been heaped on confusion.

I take your points gentlemen.

13's are out, just look to ballon like.

14's you are correct, have a very limited tyre choice.

i will re look at the 15" option in light of the advise.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a set of 888s from Tiger (John Walton) in 185/60/14.

Scared myself silly in the wet when they were brand new, wheelspin in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, & 4th at easy throttle openings!

But now they are scrubbed, they are fine for sensible road driving in the wet. They just did 1300 miles touring France & LeMans, mostly on wet, sometimes drenched, roads. No perceptible wear on the front, maybe 1mm down on the rear.

B***er all use on mud though!!!!!

The good side is that I cant even spin them in first in the dry pulling away in a straight line. & I tried really hard outside Karting Nord!!! Standard diff, 3.92 ratio.

Cant wait to try out the new setup at the Pod. Or Brands. Or Barkston.

But definitely not on public roads, you'd need to be mental to try them to the limit there.

Bob