Barkston - The Day

Guest John Walton

Guest John Walton

31 drivers attended on the day, this figure does not include Barry, but more of that later.

The 'Bristol massive' survived the hospitality of Woodys Bar once more and did not look to rough come the grey dawn, apart from Barry, but more of that later.

'Westies on tour' arrived to find more rain having been soaked the day before at Oulton Park.

I did not even get to the track before I had to find Barry, but more of that later.

Another great mixture of cars, Hoods various, westfields, mitsubishi Colt, a red 'nail', MK 'clone', Tiger Avon, Bike engined Mini, Pug 205 Auto and a 'Smart' roadster with a 600cc engine in it that had been bought after the sail of a Tiger cat.

If anyone has worn out the tarmac then that would be Joey, I lost count of the times that red 'nail' hurtled around the track.

The Mk Clone had hardly turned a wheel and was awating SVA, so a degree of testing was done on the old dispersal prior to venturing onto the track.

It was also the first run for the Tiger Avon, this is due to race at Snetterton in three weeks.

The Bike engined Mini was fun to watch, from the outside it appeared to be a stock Mini.......... until the loud pedal was pressed.

Given the amount of rain in recent days ther were a surpisingly few moments (apart from barry, but more of that later) that involved more than grass cutting, EWS1 appeared the chosen place for helping with the gardening, some yellow cars became a lovely shade of mud.

The 'Style' competion was not judged at this event given the conditions.

despite the rain, arriving wet and leaving in the same condition smiles were on most peoples faces, even Barry's, but more of that later.

It is planned to run two days at Barkston in 2008, one of which will involve....

Arive Friday at Woodland Waters, drink beer, burn meat, tell lies and kick tyres.

Saturday, track day at Barkston.

Saturday night, drink beer, burn meat, tell lies and kick tyres.

Sunday, a days Karting at Ancaster, one mile from Barkston

Sunday night, crawl home

And now, for more of that later

Barry has been attending RHOCAR track days right back to Curborough and has always had a some 'style' and has been in the past been a fan of dry stone walling.

So, when Barry arrives in the BRG Fisher there is always a chance of some entertainment.

Anyway, there I'm sat at Barkstons main gate awaiting the arrival of the damp Hoodies when one of our number approaches me, "do you know a bloke called Barry with a Fisher?" "he is in a ditch down by the petrol station, can you help him out?"

Stunning, this is a first, to stack the car a mile from the track.

I arrive to find Barry had barely left the garage before it all went pete tong being and he was being 'assisted' by two locals aged about 10, "ere mister, why does it say 'this way up' on your car?

The garage owner arrived, a helpful soul, "ere, you'v f****d my grass up, he then continued to talk utter b****x.

Thankfully I was driving RHOCAR Rescue 1 and in short order had Barry's car pulled out of the ditch and trees, covered and made our way to the track. On arriving, not one person took the p**s, well not much anyway.

Favoured explanation. "came out of the garage, floored it on track day Yoko's then it got away from me" The words, mud, oil, rain, diesel, grass and tree can be inserted anywhere in the explanation.

despite this Barry carried on smiling.

See you all soon

Guest timswait

There was much talk of the incident at the sprint today! ;) Good to see RHoCAR keeping up the tradition of at least one serious acciedent every Barkston track day. Adds a bit of variety to do it on the way to the track!

Guest Guy Wilson

Thanks to Tim & John for organizing the event.

It was great to just come and watch everybody have fun. Dying to get back on track now though!!! ;)

Roll on 2008, especially the karting! :rolleyes:

Guy

Guest robin

Oh come now it wasn't that wet. OK maybe a little damp. Still a bloomin good hoot though.

Got the bug now so I'm just filling in the form for the MSA events for the rest of this year and next year too hopefully. Popped along to the sprint this morning to help out the marshalls for a couple of hours to get a feel for it. SUPERB. :D

Robin

Guest RodLane

Yes, big thanks to the organisers - despite the somewhat 'damp' conditions, most people remained smiling helped no end by hugging cups of coffee and clinging to the burgers - good idea the burger bar! :good:

Really enjoyed the day - a great chance to meet a few of the forum regulars.

Driving wise, the best bit of the day for me was the drive home, heading towards Milton Keynes in a convoy of 3 hoods. The sun came out about 25 miles south of Barkston (typical!) and we cracked on at a good pace - thanks to the other 2 cars in the group - 1 was DaveR, the second I regret I have forgotten the name - good bloke though!

Will definitely give it another go next year - it has to be warmer and drier. :D

PS. Really glad my other half elected to stay at home - I'd never have heard the end of it if she'd had to stand around for 6hr in the rain! :( :o

Guest megablade

Thanks again for those who organised another interesting day :o

When Brother Liles arrived in John's rescuemobile we couldn't believe he couldn't get 40 yards from the petrol station, bearing in mind he had driven it 200 miles the day before in THAT rain :o So in true Hoodie style we ripped it out of him :lol:

My favourite quote, on seeing the photo's, "On a scale of 1 to 10 thats tw***ed"

The prize for the most p****d off person must go to Kevin, Barry's son. Barry camped with us on Friday night, so Kevin got up early and drove from Milton Keynes to give the Fury some stick, only to spend the day packing up Barry's tent and assisiting organsing recovery back to Gloucester :(

I would also like to mention the 4 northern nutters who slept in their cars :shok: rather than pitch tents, all I can say is I had an excellent nights sleep :p

As for the more serious issue, Barry had competed with Ace Fettler and myself in the whiskey challenge on Friday night, ensuring that a bottle was duly polished off. Barry's feaux pas left Ace and myself on Saturday night inventing a whole new event the whiskey habit :unsure: needless to say we sank the second one :blush: :wacko:

Roll on 2008 (when I leave The Priory)

Ditto.

Given the crap weather I still had a fantastic, albeit wet, day. Special thanks to Bill & Joey for taking the time to forward on a couple of quality shots of my car in action. Anyone else got further pictures from the day?

Thanks

Duncan

Guest Steve Allen

It is very unlikely that a picture of my car was taken unless it was on the trailer!!!!!!!!. Good day though and my feet are just about dry now,

As regards to sleeping in the car, well i had a great nights sleep thankyou........ I have even left the pump up air bed in the back of the car to act as an air bag for the wife. Donnington is planned for this coming weekend and if it rains "yet again" will be part exchanging the car for a conservatory, so that i can sit somewhere dry looking at the rain coming down.

Thanks again to Tim and John for a great day and sorry for the effort shown on the day, after all i am human and not a fish, well apart from the drinking problem,

Steve

Ps, you just watch, the Bristol Lads will be going shopping for air beds for their cars now they know how the other half live.......

I think I might be lucky missing barkstone this time as I was on holiday in sunny Portugal :p

My normal route on my friday afternoon trip up would have been M50, down M5 down to Tewksbury turn off and up the A46 passing Evesham and Stratford-upon-avon, my car could still be there now submerged under flood water. :o

How did the Bristol lads manage up the M5?

Les

Guest megablade

Salty,

The front suspension has gone along with wheel and bonnet. Easy repair for Barry as he has had enough practice :huh:

Les,

Surprisingly enough had a clear run both ways!!!! if a tad damp!!! We left at 11 on Friday morning and arrived at 4pm. On Sunday left at 9.30 and got home at 1.15!! Bizarly our fastest run yet :huh:

Sorry we never made it but I spent the day on Saturday clearing out my sister in laws house after the flash flood that swept down Broadway hill.

My wife left Evesham at lunchtime on Friday heading to Brecon to pick up my son who had been on an adventure week. It took her 3 hours to get to Tewksbury (about 10 miles) where she got stuck and spent the night in a pub and eventually made it back home on Saturday morning.

Oh well the slicks don't work that well in the wet anyway :D

Richard