Clutch

Guest Petemate

Guest Petemate

Hi All

Local 2b builder near SVA. Has a problem with the pawl mechanism, can't remember this with mine. If he gently lifts the pedal, the mechanism loses all the adjustment (accompanied by a click) and the pedal then is nearly to the floor until he gets a screwdriver and manipulates the ratchet to work again then it is OK unless the pedal is lifted again. Done a search but can't find anything conclusive. He has dismantled, checked and reassembled. Looks OK to me on a visual check - any ideas?

TIA

Pete

Hi i had a similar problem when i fitted a larger quadrant , this was due to there not being enough free play in the cable and so not allowing the ratchet to access the quadrant teeth properly , only ending up on the smooth land at the end of the quadrant when you pulled the pedal back , then you need to move the quadrant back a wee bit to bite on the ratchet to start with , it worth a quick check just to see if it is the case , unless as mentioned before the ratched spring is faulty

Mike

Guest chris brown

As Bob says it sounds like the spring is broken because when the clutch pedal is pulled back it should release the quadrant from the pawl and the spring then pulls the quadrant round so as to tension the clutch cable then when the pedal is released the pawl engages with the quadrant in the correct place to allow maximum pull on the cable.