Engine Temp 100

Guest solcol

Guest solcol

Hi,

Been out in the sun and thought would give a good run at 70 on the motorway.

Temperature sat at 100, going over slightly a couple of times. When going through villages was running between 90 and 100. The engine was on for about 2 hours in total and overheated once, ie water on the windscreen coming out of the pressurised radiator cap.

Noticed some oil on the rocker cover.

Im using an expansion tank already.

Is this normal considering the hot weather or should I be worried? Cheers

Guest solcol

plenty of room in the expansion tank. Got home and had to top up with 2 litres of fluid. Been out tonight, sat about 95 degrees, no over heat but had to top up again with about half litre when I got back.

Recently did a coolant flush and changed the thermastat. Got the fan kicking in at 80.

It lost water after about 20 mins. Was ok round town, when sat doing 70 thats when the temp went up. Got stuck in bad traffic on M1, was ok stood still for about 15 mins then the revs droped and it wanted to cut out. Thankfully was close to services to came off and let it cool down.

Im get worried now. Was meant to going to the coast sunday, not sure if to go now.

Guest salty_monk

If it's overheating on the motorway then it probably means you need to put some cowling in to make sure all the air is going through the radiator....

Dan :)

Guest allenr03

Is the fan definately kicking in? Is it working the right way round? (if its in front of the rad is it blowing, if its behind is it sucking?) I would delfinately cowl the radiator though to force the air through it.

Guest solcol

the fan definately kicks in and is blowing air in. I have changed the front grill to a more decorative front grill with the boy racer type mesh but I didnt think this would have a huge impact.

I had a serious cooling problem on mine and it was pretty much sorted by changing the tarty fine mesh out for the barbecue grill and by cutting every part of the fan that is not necessary out. The fan will not push air through the radiator at more than about 20-30mph, which means that at more than 30mph, the fan housing becomes a restriction to radiator cooling from air from the nosecone. Cut it back as much as you can and change the mesh out as Paul suggests would be my advice.

Andy

Guest Tim Norman

Could also be an airlock. i spent the best part of a week getting it all out, despite having an air bleed at the highest point. Its all out now and the engine only starts to creep toward 100 in traffic and red hot sun. Rad is cowled with a bloody big pusher fan in front. I also found out I was plumbing it wrong. Th hose from the expansion tank needs to go in to the top hose and ideally the thermostat for the fan in the bottom hose.

Guest chris brown
the fan definately kicks in and is blowing air in. I have changed the front grill to a more decorative front grill with the boy racer type mesh but I didnt think this would have a huge impact.

The mesh on the grill makes a huge difference I had overheating when I had a mesh grill fitted but as soon as I changed to a more open one the problem disappeared (except when I once wired the fan up backwards :wub: :fool: )

Guest solcol

not sure what rad it is. I guess it is the standard provided with the kit or suggested you use. Was already in when I bought the car.

Anyone recommend a suitable radiator.

I will try to see if an airlock and also look at cowling the radiator.

Cheers

how is your rad mounted vertical or horizontal?

have mounted mine flat over front top chassis rails and put big air scoop in to force air up as recomended by richard hall. works great onlything is gets very hot in car.

The Coolman twin core rad is recomended at about 75 GBP

Easy to find how many cores you have, when cold remove filler cap and look in top of rad, 1 line of holes single core, 2 lines of holes double core.

Guest solcol

The rad stands up at about 80 degree angle. Looked on sites and it is the single core cortina rad.

I have the croc style bonnet, I plan to put a a sheet in the top. At the moment when the bonnet is shut the air can go right over the rad.

Just had the engine jacked up and running, made a nice mess of the garage when raised the revs a little. It would come out the top in fits and starts.

I think a coolman rad could be a wise purchase