Does A Shortened Sump Need Extra Capacity?

agent_zed

Sorry if this has been asked before. Iam about to shorten my sump and was wondering if i need to add extra capacity, ive seen many people have done it but is it actually necessary? i have a standard 1.6 pinto so it won't be pushed that hard. Does anyone run with a short sump without extra capacity? cheers

Hi,

Preferably yes, however like many others I haven't extended mine. I did measure how much extra capacity could be gained by over filling the sump, whilst still avoiding the oil touching the crank. I then filed an extra nick in the dip stick for the new level. I reckon I've got back about a third to a half the oil quantity I would have had with the extension.

Cheers

Nige

Guest chris brown
Sorry if this has been asked before. Iam about to shorten my sump and was wondering if i need to add extra capacity, ive seen many people have done it but is it actually necessary? i have a standard 1.6 pinto so it won't be pushed that hard. Does anyone run with a short sump without extra capacity? cheers

No it's not actually necessary but nice to have and easy to do as it gives you somewhere to fit the sump bung as the last place you want it is in the bottom and the sides tend not to be flat. You lose about 600cc by just cutting the sump and the side box puts about 300cc of that back. But as ECAM says you can overfill with no problem as there is about 30mm between the full mark on the dipstick and the crank webs’. NW site instructions

Hi guys,

thanks for the replies. hmmm decisions... ive been thinking and i think iam going to try and find a sump off anouther car that is the same width but longer than the deep part of the ford one. Then i can cut the ford one and effectively put the new sump up over this and weld at a much higher place, the increases length would give more capacity forward. It would also mean that it would already have a sump plug and if my welds broke they would be sufficiently high up that it would still hold oil. This of course relies on finding a suitable one at the local scapyard, otherwise it will just get cut off and welded for now.

Has anyone else done this? Does this sound like a good idea, i can't think of a reason not to do it this way.

Guest chris brown
Hi guys,

thanks for the replies. hmmm decisions... ive been thinking and i think iam going to try and find a sump off anouther car that is the same width but longer than the deep part of the ford one. Then i can cut the ford one and effectively put the new sump up over this and weld at a much higher place, the increases length would give more capacity forward. It would also mean that it would already have a sump plug and if my welds broke they would be sufficiently high up that it would still hold oil. This of course relies on finding a suitable one at the local scapyard, otherwise it will just get cut off and welded for now.

Has anyone else done this? Does this sound like a good idea, i can't think of a reason not to do it this way.

Not a good plan IMHO the sump needs to have at least 3mm steel on the base as it still gets clouted when shortened that’s why I said don’t put the drain plug in the base. If you are still worried about capacities (and theirs no need even for track use) just make the side box bigger.

Guest salty_monk

Mine doesn't have the extra capacity & I don't fill it more than max on the dipstick even on track days.....

The extra bit gives you about 300ml I think. From memory the MIN-Max is around 1ltr anyway, you still have more oil in there than you would have on Min even with it cut.

Dan :)