Wrong Distributor?

Guest GrantB

I'm running a 2ltr 205 pinto (Sierra) with twin 45's. The distributor has points but I reckon it should have electronic ignition. It can be a bugger to start and suffers the symptoms mentioned in the excellent 'ignition' article posted on this site ie: starter turning slowly. If this is the problem and I buy a new dizzy, do I need to bother with the vac advance pipe? :mellow:

Guest monogfx

With twin 45's you cannot really run the vacuum advance unless the vacuum takeoff ran from every inlet. I have just bought an Aldon unit from Burton Power - works really well, no vacuum, exchange was £128. Still has points. My set up is 2 litre pinto, 2 x 45 dcoes and fr32 cam.

Best of luck Tim

PS have you got separate earth strap from chassis/battery neg terminal to engine? - mine didn't when I bought it and it was a pig to turn over.

Scrappy for bosch dizzy, six wire inductive ign box and coil from a pre 85 2L sierra for 20 quid or so and it works as well as most after market systems. You could convert your dizzy to electronic with a magnecor unit which fits in place of the points for about £60.

Nigel