Chassis Interference

Guest Jason

Hi all, fitted the engine to my Sub K yesterday and the sump fouls on the crossmember that goes under the engine. Its the shallow part of the sump so I don't think I can even shorten it. Has anyone else had this problem and how did you overcome it.

So far it looks like I'm going to have to cut the crossmember out and reweld/fit a new one

Thanks for any help

Jay

Guest chris brown
Hi all, fitted the engine to my Sub K yesterday and the sump fouls on the crossmember that goes under the engine. Its the shallow part of the sump so I don't think I can even shorten it. Has anyone else had this problem and how did you overcome it.

So far it looks like I'm going to have to cut the crossmember out and reweld/fit a new one

Thanks for any help

Jay

I seem to think this has come up before Jason and one of the answers was to fit spacers on the engine mounts to lift the engine a little, another was as you suggest was to cut and move the crosmember. You need about 5mm clearance minimum

Hi mate

You are not alone! This was a poor piece of chassis design by Richard Stewart. I have a 2B/4 which shares the same front end, and had exactly the same issue. As Chris says, the answer is to raise your engine mounts about half an inch. You may think that there will not be sufficient clearance under the bonnet if you do, but trust me, it will be ok. I mounted my side panels to the top chassis rail, and packed out the bottom edge, so my bonnet is fitted in the lowest possible position, but the clearance is fine, even with a large filter on top of the 32/36.

I asked a local metalworking firm to make up the spacers for me: 1/2 inch steel plate with a 14mm hole. There is enough thread in the sierra engine mounting to fit these and still have thread exposed above the nylock.

Others (Dave Castle?) have cut out the offending chassis member and welded in an alternative, but this is by far the simplest (and cheapest) way.

EngineMount.jpg

Thanks guys

Was looking at making spacers, but theres approx 1" of gap between the engine mount and the chassis, and thats before Ive tightened them up and taken out any slack/flex :o

Will probably remove the cross member and fit a removable one incase I need to change the sump etc in the future.

Jay

Right : An update

Fitted 1/2" spacers and the sump still sat firmly on the chassis so have cut the crossmember out and will fit a new one at a later date.

But after doing this I've found that the bottom edge of the block (ie where the sump bolts to) is very close to contacting the chassis on one side of the engine "bay"so will have to fit spacers anyway to add a bit more clearance :rolleyes:

ho hum its all good fun (I keep telling myself that!!)

Thanks for your help guys!!

Jay

Edited by Jason