Linux

stevedohc2b

Linux is fast becoming a fashion statement in the computer world, but in a geeky kind of way. I'm a sys admin and use HP unix and Linux all the time. That said, I use Windows at home because it is better suited to a home user.

I do have a linux machine at home, but its a dedicated server.

I find it quite funny how so many people rave about how they are linux users, and how great it is, yet they have no clue what they are actually doing. If something goes wrong, which it will, all they do is post up on a forum and then cut and paste the commands.

This is so NOT what Unix/Linux is about, you need to understand the system to use it, which sadly most "ubuntu" etc users dont!

As I said at the beginning, Linux is currently the fashionable OS in the geek world, and its now the 'done' thing to slate Microsoft and rave Linux.

At the end of the day Windows is EXCELLENT at what it does, and far more suited to the home user than Linux is at the moment. All my opinion of course ;)

I'm with Ballin on this one. All you stupid people who aren't computer geeks,' Whizz off ' and stop playing with things you don't understand just cos it's fashionable. Stick to windows cos you can understand it so much better and easier and stuff and you wont have anything goin' wrong with it, like with ubuntu, an anyway if it did you could fix it without no forums an stuff, see.

No, seriously ballin mate, if you're gonna make me play with toys I understand, my playroom is gonna be a bit empty!!!!!!!!!!!

Nigel

I work in IT and have done so for a very long time. Mainframes though, not PC's. There's a big difference.

I remember the first PC's that came into the industry. DOS based and very crude of course, but I've witnessed the rise and popularity of Microsoft. I have a PC at home (Windows). I dread to think of the countless hours I've spent on this over the years, trying to fathom what the heck is going on inside the box and trying to sometimes get even the simplest of things to behave. I have therefore come to loathe Microsoft, it's mentality on how it's structured (both inside the box and outside), their pricing structure and Bill Gates in particular. We have a (Windows) Desktop Dept here at work and believe me, they are run ragged.

Then, through this Forum, came the word and the word was Ubuntu.

I haven't had the time, due to car building (which is much preferred of course) over the last two or three years, to learn Linux from the ground up, but Ubuntu promised an OS that I could manage through a GUI. Furthermore, an OS that was free to use, Open Source and maintained by a veritable army of enthusiastic people. There is a command line Terminal which is very powerful, but I have endeavoured to steer clear of it. There are other Operating Systems out there and I'm in no position to say Ubuntu is the best however, I have installed Ubuntu onto my PC, spent some time customising it to my taste and it's been pretty painless. I did purchase TurboPrint so that I could print photos, but it wasn't expensive. My Tunes work, my Internet works, my eMail works, my Finances work etc, etc, etc ... It all works! Granted, like all PC things, it's not without it quirks and certainly not without some bugs. But then again, neither is Microsoft and you're paying for it!

If you want to see a taster of what Ubuntu can look like on your PC, just Google Ubuntu, read the blurb and seek out some Youtube clips. I'll post some links in here if you want.

I can definately say that (at the moment) I will NOT be going back to Microsoft.

Like they say: "In a world without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates?"

There is a command line Terminal which is very powerful, but I have endeavoured to steer clear of it.

Go on, give in, embrace the dark side! I have.

I read all my mail through pine at the command line and I have made many a post on RHOCAR using elinks, a text mode browser!

Guest Alan_builder
Go on, give in, embrace the dark side! I have.

I read all my mail through pine at the command line and I have made many a post on RHOCAR using elinks, a text mode browser!

And gents he helps his old dad put Fedora (thats the O/S and equivalent Office Applications) etc onto new & old hardware when its purchased from me without Windows & all Bills BILLS. So you Win Win and are Win less. :o :D :o

I :wub: my RH