Nose Cone

johnhetherington

Hi Guys, HELP

I'm building a 2B Plus and as all you experienced Hoodies will know, the nose cone profile and the bonnet profile are not the same. I have read somewhere that you make a plywood former and pull it in with a tourniquet, tried that but obviously just springs out again. Can't hit it with a hammer, much as I would like to, any ideas please.

By the way, I have 2 sets of Sierra front calipers going spare, 1 set complete the other set missing a carrier, when I say set I mean both front wheels, free to any Hoodies in the Kent area that can pick them up from Gillingham.

Cheers John.

Hi John,

we used a strip of scrap stainless on the inside of the nose cone for reinforcement and long self-tapping screws to pull it all together (working from the centre of the bonnet out towards the edge). Then we replaced each screw in turn with a stainless rivet. On this photo you can see the gap we had on the passenger's side before the screws went in.

post-988-1195317180_thumb.jpg

I seem to remember the driver's side gap being over an inch but it all pulled together using the screws and it looks fine with the rivets in.

All the best,

Edward

Guest mastarforth

AS eddie said

use a scrap strip on the underside of the bnnet and dirll and screw one hoe at a time rowking form the centre out.

The bodywork in that was pulls to the shape of the nose cone

AS eddie said

use a scrap strip on the underside of the bnnet and dirll and screw one hoe at a time rowking form the centre out.

The bodywork in that was pulls to the shape of the nose cone

Thanks for that, one point though, is that when you have a crocodile type bonnet which is secured to the nose cone. I am going to go for the lift off type bonnet with a fixed scuttle so it is not screwed to the nose cone. Hope I have explained it properly.

Guest chris brown
Thanks for that, one point though, is that when you have a crocodile type bonnet which is secured to the nose cone. I am going to go for the lift off type bonnet with a fixed scuttle so it is not screwed to the nose cone. Hope I have explained it properly.

My bonnet isn’t attached to the nosecone and it took me a long time to get it to the right shape using a length of plastic soil pipe and just pulling the bonnet round it until I got it to fit

Guest blueskygtr

Series 3a was the same !!!!

re-contoured mine with a cloth and many fine adjustmenst around the lamp post outside. Tighter turns made from the smaller diameter pipe from waist hight and the digger curves from the base .

just take your time and get it right its worth it. Remember that you have to bend further than needed as the steel will try to reform itself to original shape

Good luck

Jay

Hi,

I can't find it now, but somewhere on this site there are pictures of a nosecone with an aluminium frame at the back, the frame was shaped to match the bonnet profile. The nose cone was fastened to the frame to pull it into shape and make the bonnet fit.

I think the pictures might be in the garage section.

Cheers

Nige

Series 3a was the same !!!!

re-contoured mine with a cloth and many fine adjustmenst around the lamp post outside. Tighter turns made from the smaller diameter pipe from waist hight and the digger curves from the base .

just take your time and get it right its worth it. Remember that you have to bend further than needed as the steel will try to reform itself to original shape

Good luck

Jay

Thanks Jay, problem is my lamp post outside is square, take your point though, I will try the soil pipe method as Chris suggested. Thanks to you all for your suggestions, I know it wont be my last question. Cheers John

My bonnet isn’t attached to the nosecone and it took me a long time to get it to the right shape using a length of plastic soil pipe and just pulling the bonnet round it until I got it to fit
Thanks Chris, will give that a try. I am learning the hard way that nothing is simple with a hood. Cheers John

• 2 weeks later...
Hi,

I can't find it now, but somewhere on this site there are pictures of a nosecone with an aluminium frame at the back, the frame was shaped to match the bonnet profile. The nose cone was fastened to the frame to pull it into shape and make the bonnet fit.

I think the pictures might be in the garage section.

Cheers

Nige

I think it may be mine :) the pics are on this thread if they are any help

http://community.rhocar.org/index.php?show...&hl=scuttle

hope this helps