New Super Spec

Guest Big Trev

Guest Big Trev

Hi all

Bought a new Super Spec kit mid 2005 and only starting to build it now! Just unpacked all the bits and it looks daunting! Any advice on where the best websites/photos/build guidance is available?

Guest chris brown

I don’t know what the build videos/DVDs are like with the SS but regardless watch them right through a couple of times especially if you have never done a build before. If they are anything like the 2B vids they are very disjointed with some bits just skimmed over and others taken to the Nth degree and some just a joke. Also had some info towards the end correcting information given very early on.

Then do as Mitch says take it bit at a time I find it good to set myself milestones (something that can be accomplished in a day or a few hours) rather than just plodding on with no light at the end of the tunnel.

Then finally don’t be frightened to ask questions no matter how trivial they may seem remember you are not alone with the build as long as you post on here there are hundreds of us who have build cars (not necessarily the SS) and I am sure someone will have an answer if not lots of people with different ones.

Guest Big Trev

Great. Thanx. I've found will's site...photos VERY useful.

I've started to watch the vidoes. As you say, a joke in places...the big black dog arrivin and tryin to sniff his crotch was hilarious!!

The stainless steel chassis has started to rust slightly in places (stored in a cold damp shed for 2 years). Is etch priming/painting the norm for the chassis or do people leave them as stainless? I suspect powder coating will be too inflexible and would crack on driving. Also all the mild steel bits are rusting quite a bit. Shot blasting required no doubt but the steering column will be difficult! Any advice?

Also, one of the first things is to overhaul the back axle. Do people generally use the hard plastic bushings (red...can't remember what they're made of) or replace with rubber ones...or even leave the old ones if not worn? Or do they have to be replaced for SVA?

Guest allenr03

Hi Trev

The videos are quite useful but you'll end up doing a lot of things very differently I suspect. There are a few good buildsites you will be able to use.I see you've found Will',you can checkmy site out (link below) or e666 (he's a member - Ian) has a good site too.

If you need any help post on here and someone will help you. I couldn't have built the thing without the help I had. Damn good car though!!

With regards to the bushes I used the red ones, I think most people would.

I painted my chassis but you don't need to with stainless - I wish I hadn't but it was a bit untidy when I got it.

Good luck

Rich

Guest Big Trev
Hi Trev

The videos are quite useful but you'll end up doing a lot of things very differently I suspect. There are a few good buildsites you will be able to use.I see you've found Will',you can checkmy site out (link below) or e666 (he's a member - Ian) has a good site too.

If you need any help post on here and someone will help you. I couldn't have built the thing without the help I had. Damn good car though!!

With regards to the bushes I used the red ones, I think most people would.

I painted my chassis but you don't need to with stainless - I wish I hadn't but it was a bit untidy when I got it.

Good luck

Rich

Guest Big Trev

Richard

Many thanks. Your website is GREEEAT. Such useful photos and links and tips. Endless hours on internet instead of working at car. LOL

I'll be in touch frequently no doubt!

Did you etch prime the stainless before painting. Is the paint staying on ok?

Regards

Trev

Guest allenr03

Thanks!! :-) I might get round to updating it when I have some time spare!

No I didn't etch the chassis first and the paint finish isn't great if I'm honest. I used some platicote stuff for the roll bar (I think Enforcer recommended it) and that looks quite good and is hard wearing. I used the same stuff for the wishbones and they are still unmarked despite the obvious impacts from stones thrown up by cars I was getting ready to overtake!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey dude

welcome to the Super-duper-millionaires club :)

Have fun with the kit - got any questions post them on here, or drop us a line. Website et al below

If spray pianting the chassis I'd etch prime it first, or use a self etching chassis paint. I didn't paint the chassis at all myself - and I still don't know if that was a good thing or a bad one ;)

Happy building :)

e