Another New Toy

Joel

As if I don't have enough to do :rolleyes: - I just made another addition to the collection!

This one's an FT Bonito. It's loosely based on the Ford GT40, and is VW based using an unmodified Beetle chassis. I think the design has origins with Fibrefab, but this particular one was bought from a company called AED International, based in Torpoint Cornwall, way back in 1983! I have an interesting file of original invoices and related documents. It's basically still at rolling chassis stage, and has barely been touched in 25 years. It's in remarkable condition considering.

Not sure what to do with it now - I had grand plans, both mechanical and cosmetic, but it's way better looking in the flesh than I'd imagined so I might keep it as it is. I'm not too fussed about the GT40 style front end, but the rest is great. It has that 70's wedgie Aston or maybe Maserati feel too it.

As for the rest, I'd considered ditching the ancient Beetle chassis and trying to get the body to sit on a modified Locost chassis, with wishbones all round etc, and maybe a switch to front engine with a sensible zetec installation, or something similar, but that sounds like an epic amount of work.

What are the options for rear engined cars? Modified VW obviously, and Porsche too. Subaru maybe?

What does everyone think?

Guest micky bigthumbs

Wow thats a nice looking trailer lol The car looks good to its like a fisher fury type design .. can you swap the vw engine to a front mounted engine

Mick

Guest salty_monk

Yep, Scooby flat four. I would either seriously brace that chassis though with some sort of roll cage or better still cut it out & replace it with a tubular steel one..... I wouldn't modify a locost one, build from scratch. You can still use ready prepared bones etc if you want.

I like it!

Dan :)

I would either seriously brace that chassis though with some sort of roll cage

It has quite an elaborate and extensive internal cage, though it doesn't make the best use of space so I may cut & shut it a bit.

Alfa V6 would be the dream option (imagine the noise it would make!! B) ), but I wouldn't have a clue how to go about sourcing one - I don't think I've ever seen an Alfa in the scrappy, let alone a V6!

you could always do what the grasstrack cars do and go rover v8 with vw gearbox. Beetle gearboxs are a no no but if you mate it to a vw fastback variant box they can take the power. Just a thought.