What's This Pipe For?

Guest jwts

Hi,

I keep coming across bits I don’t recognize in my Super Spec kit. In this case it’s a length of reinforced rubber or neoprene tubing. It’s 64cm long with an internal diameter of 9mm and an external diameter of 15mm. Here is a picture:

post-2794-1203028776_thumb.jpg

The white bits on the end are just masking tape which I assume was used to make it easier to make a clean cut of the pipe.

I’m beginning to think I may be missing a video or two. I have a 2004 kit (bought 2nd hand) and have 3 video tapes each about 2 hours long. I’ve watched all the tapes and made a note of what is discussed where but, for example, I don’t remember any detailed section about fitting the brake-pipes. Has anyone got a Super Spec of the same age and can tell me if I should have more tapes?

Regards,

John.

(jwts)

Guest ScotMac

I have no clue about the superspec, but that looks like a stainless steel fuel line. And yes, the tape is to make sure it doesn't fray when cutting it.

Edited by ScotMac

Hi John

I have a 2004 'Spec. Sounds like you have the right number of tapes for the build - I had three. Found only 50% to be useful. You get more answers on here (fab site).

As for the bit of pipe.... i had some of that and for the life of me I can't remember what I did with it :)

Certainly didn't use it for the remote res for the brakes - bought some proper stuff for that. Didn't use it anywhere in the fuel lines, but probably would have been easier hooking up the fuel filter than what I did :D

Sorry not much help really am I!? :blink:

Have fun. If you have anymore questions drop us a line

e

Guest andrewmoorhouse

HI I had some of that in my 2005 super spec kit it probily is re-enforced hydrolic pipe but not enough of it to reach from the brake res to the master cyl if you got the same amount as me. I had some made up from a hydrolic pipe manufacturer to size ,also got a reciept showing that the pipe was indeed fit for purpose ie ok for brake fluid as the sva examiner wanted documented proof of this. So if you did use the supplied pipe you may have a problem prooving its suitability. PS Used my supplied pipe to carry the wires from the headlamps to the side panel its a good fit onto the threaded part of the headlamp fixing a small amount of tape around the end then cut the dome of a plastic nut cover slide it up the pipe and onto the h/lamp locking nut, very tidy sorts the radiusing of the nut out and gives a nice neat finish to the job. good luck with the build andrew