Q Plates

Guest Lew

hi all,

i am currently building an exmo, i am really confused about the whole Q plate thingy.

I have all sierra parts from same car, does this still mean i have to go through the SVA???

Lew,

You will definately have to do an SVA.

The Q plate issue comes into play during the registration process. To be allocated a registration, you have to complete a built up vehicle report, and may have to have your car inspected too.

This is to determine where certain bits of your car came from, things like engine, gearbox, axles, steering parts etc.

The general rule of thumb is;

>If all the inspected parts are new or reconditioned to an as-new standard, and you can prove it (receipts etc), then you should be allocated a brand new registration plate.

>If all the inspected parts are from a single donor vehicle, and you can prove it (V5), then you should be allocated an age related plate (age related to the age of your donor vehicle)

>If you don't know, or can not prove the origin of the inspected parts, you will probably be allocated a Q plate.

It sounds as though the age related plate is the most likely for your situation.

You Will have to go through SVA

You will then get an age related plate for you kit, if your donor was an F reg, you will get an F plate for your kit assuming you have a V5 from the donor vehical (registration document).

If you don't have a V5 from your donor, you could well get a Q plate.

Look at that, Joel beat me to it :D

Edited by Guy

I stupidy read a kit car book ( from Which kit Magazine ) way back in 2001 before starting my build and followed the text therein by scrapping the vehicle and returning the V5 to DVLA.

I have kept a photocopy of the V5 and have the vin plate and number plates and photo of the donor as proof but found out after stripping that the engine was not the one on the V5 document ( it had been changed ).

I wrote to Ford Technical Department and they sent a nice letterheaded note confirming the engine to be 1989 so hopefully I will get an age related plate.

Happy building

Peter

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Battery Bill
am i right in thinking once a q always a q ie u cant put a private plate on it

Apparently at the end of this year DVLA are starting to issue personalised "Q" plates !

Probably cost £400 ish though ^_^

Off the DVLA site

When will the Q prefix be available for sale?

We plan to release Q registrations (in the 1 to 20 figure range) some time next year. A precise date is not available at present but further information will be available on this site nearer the time. If you wish to be kept informed please e-mail us at som.dvla@gtnet.gov.uk

Anything to get more money

Les

Guest TerryBarry

Can anyone think of one they will let you have - that's worth the money

Suppose the best will start Q11

Q11EEN

Q11ICK

I wanted T3RRY but wasn't quick enough ( and wouldn't have paid the silly money)

Terry