Disco Engine Trouble

Guest sim

Hi guys got a major prob with my discovery 300

approached a junction and engine just stopped called rac to tow me home and he said looks like its partially siezed :(

plenty of oil and water in the big girl there was no funny noises no bangs or rattles it just stopped

so far checked starter motor made sure it wasn't jammed tried to turn engine with crank pulley it moved anti clockwise but solid clockwise

diesel pump goes round with bottom pulley so i believe cam belt is in one piece

not sure what to try next so any help info would be appreciated

cheers

si

If it moves one way and not the other and all the belts are in place it would not suggest seizure to me. I think CMA's comments are well worthy of investigation, other than that a component somewhere has failed (valvetrain somewhere?) which is stopping the engine from moving further in clockwise direction.

Can you get the rocker cover off easily and have a look underneath? Rotating the engine with that off gently may tell a few stories.

Good luck

Andy

Could it be the cam belt has jumped a few teeth?

Does it turn over on the starter?

nope not a thing on starter :(

If it moves one way and not the other and all the belts are in place it would not suggest seizure to me. I think CMA's comments are well worthy of investigation, other than that a component somewhere has failed (valvetrain somewhere?) which is stopping the engine from moving further in clockwise direction.

Can you get the rocker cover off easily and have a look underneath? Rotating the engine with that off gently may tell a few stories.

Good luck

Andy

i've not turned it a full rotation anti clockwise so not sure if it will get to a point where it stops

i will try taking rocker cover off next and checking that

cheers

si

Guest Jaffer

.... any news Si?

I'm no expert, but did have a 300Tdi for a while. Sounds a bit 'cambelt slip' to me, the cambelt seems to be the weak part of the engine. If I remember correctly, the 300Tdi engine had a couple of recalls to fit a modified cam idler pulley and then later, a second additional idler. It might be worth checking that this was done. We did have a close shave with ours, the cambelt was shredded and half its original width 10-12k miles before it was due a change.... :o

.... any news Si?

I'm no expert, but did have a 300Tdi for a while. Sounds a bit 'cambelt slip' to me, the cambelt seems to be the weak part of the engine. If I remember correctly, the 300Tdi engine had a couple of recalls to fit a modified cam idler pulley and then later, a second additional idler. It might be worth checking that this was done. We did have a close shave with ours, the cambelt was shredded and half its original width 10-12k miles before it was due a change.... :o

No news as yet not had time to start stripping it down yet gotta get myself a spanner for the viscous fan first before i can fully check timing belt

if belt has slipped would that totally lock engine?

cheers

si

if belt has slipped would that totally lock engine?

cheers

si

Yes if valves are hitting pistons. Sorry to be pessimistic but if this happened whilst running, its likely to have at least bent some valves if not rods and potential piston damage.

Lets keep fingers crossed for now.

• 1 month later...

Thought i better update progress on my disco

it's still poorly :(

so far ive checked timing belt all markers lined up according to haynes so not slipped all push rods are straight

just finnished stripping everything off so i can now take the head off and check that

the good news is it does now turn both ways :)

so either bent valves (can this happen if timing belt dosn't go?)

was also thinking maybe a cam follower shattered and jammed somewhere is that possible on this engine?

after removing the ingecters and glow plugs i noticed 1 and 4 was pretty dry but 2 and 3 was covered in all on the shank especially the plugs is this normal?

cheers

si

Not sure how they do it in the disco engines but does the cam shaft use a rocker bar to push the valves or is it directly above? iam just thinking back to a MK1 fiesta i had which broke the rocker and subsequently only ran on 3 cyclinders (still got me home over 80miles). The valve may have jammed the engine and has now moved a bit to allow it to run free

Or maybe a finger has slipped and you may be off your rocker (in the engine that is) :D

hth

Well took head off the big girl checked valves they all seem to be seated correctly

took all cam followers out and rollers they all there

went out borrowed a valve spring compresser thought i'd check the valve stems see if a stem was bent or jammed

after looking at everything time and time again i had my head under the bonnet and at that point i touched something and swore at my self very loudly it looks like i had just totally stripped the engine for nothing would you believe all this work for a siezed alternator the drive belt on a landy must be bloody strong as my bro tried pulling me while in gear and it was totally locked

i'm still kicking myself now

well off to scrappy on monday for alternator and down motor factors for full gaskit kit and she should be purring again soon

i feel like such a numpty

thanks for all the ideas you guys gave

cheers

si