Clocks

Guest petrie51

• 2 years later...

Righto chaps - I'm looking for a different answer to this one. I'm sure I've seen a post where someone said it was possible and how to do it but this is the closest post I can find when searching.

The reason is that I've got a set of Smiths clocks that are being fitted to the Mini but the rev-counter is from a V6. I've got a different one that's cosmetically a pretty good match for the rest of the gauges and it's for a 4-cyl lump but it's a current sensing type so it's erratic due to the electronic ignition.

So how do I make a 6-cylinder RVC counter a 4-cylinder one or how do I get an RVI to work properly with electronic ignition? I'd prefer the first option if it's do-able.

Iain

Bet they won't do it in that order though - I reckon they'll want the clock and the money together. I know I can get the RVI clock altered to work with leccy ignition but it's around £80 and not the clock I'd prefer to use. I'd much prefer to be able to alter the 6-cyl RVC clock to work with 4 cylinders and as I said I'm convinced I saw instructions on how from someone on here.

I've even been toying with the idea of pulling the mechanism from a different speedo and putting it behind the Smiths face, or using the electronics from another unit to drive the Smiths pointer but I can't find one with the same sweep/rev-range.

Iain