Which Oil Grade?

tpavlou

I've got an S7 with a 1983 2l pinto engine and I've trying to figure out which is the best oil grade to use? I've tried replacing my current oil with 20w-50 and my oil pressure drops alarmingly when the engine is warm. Anyone got any ideas what I should be using?

TIA

Theo

Guest robinj66

That is the oil you're supposed to be using.

I would suggest you have a problem somewhere - how low is the oil pressure going?

What oil were you using before and did you have any problems?

When the engine is cold, it sits at about 75psi (think that's right anyway). It's only when the engine is warm and I change gear (ie. put the clutch down) that the pressure drops to about 30. Am I just being paranoid?

Don't know what oil was in before as I've only changed the oil once since owning the car.

Sounds fine to me

Diff engine but I only get 35 cold 30 hot and about 15psi on idle (hot) been like that for last 15k miles.

Oil Press warning light activates about 7 psi to cater for low oil pressure at an idle of high mileage engines.

Guest shaggy

I get around 50psi when cold, drops to 35 psi when hot, and about 5psi on hot idle, so I'd be more than happy if I was getting 40 psi on hot idle.

Si