Fuel Pump Help.....

Guest MEGGSY

Guest MEGGSY

My part built kit that was sold to me as a runner, isnt running! Teach me to buy a car with out seeing it in the flesh!

The problem I am having is definately fuel pump related as there is no fuel getting to the injector rail (2.0 efi pinto).

I have been told by the previous owner that he ran the tank dry and all I need to do is prime the pump so I have connected a live feed to the pump and yet all I am hearing from the pump is a thud when I switch it on and then nothing else!

Is this the sign of a knackered fuel pump? or am I missing something? (And yes there is definately fuel in the tank now!)

The pump is an external bosch type one, if it is the pump does anyone have any reccomendations as to which aftermarket one I should replace it with?

Guest mastarforth

I would try sucking the fuel through to the inlet of the fuel pump.

then try again, if the fuel is at the inlet of the pump and it is not working then I would think the pump needs replaced.

I prepare to eb shot down by more knowledable people

Guest chris brown
My part built kit that was sold to me as a runner, isnt running! Teach me to buy a car with out seeing it in the flesh!

The problem I am having is definately fuel pump related as there is no fuel getting to the injector rail (2.0 efi pinto).

I have been told by the previous owner that he ran the tank dry and all I need to do is prime the pump so I have connected a live feed to the pump and yet all I am hearing from the pump is a thud when I switch it on and then nothing else!

Is this the sign of a knackered fuel pump? or am I missing something? (And yes there is definately fuel in the tank now!)

The pump is an external bosch type one, if it is the pump does anyone have any reccomendations as to which aftermarket one I should replace it with?

The pump will NOT suck fuel and therefore needs to be supplied with fuel either by a connection direct from the bottom of the tank or a facit type pump supplying a swirl pot that in turn supplies the high pressure injection pump. Which ever type you have fitting a filter before the high pressure pump is a must.

On switch on the pump should run for about 1/2 a second then switch off and will restart with the engine cranking. These pumps do not like running dry so may have given up. They are also very susceptible to small bits of crud hence the need for a pre filter

Guest MEGGSY

I know it has been previously been running so I imagine that it should work if I used the syphon effect and the pump is low enough? (Obviously only a temporary measure but would like to hear it running!)

Does anyone know what pressure / Gallons per hr the 2.0 efi requires?

Guest chris brown
I know it has been previously been running so I imagine that it should work if I used the syphon effect and the pump is low enough? (Obviously only a temporary measure but would like to hear it running!)

Does anyone know what pressure / Gallons per hr the 2.0 efi requires?

Control pressure is 2.5 bar so providing the pump will give a little over that it will work. Don’t assume just because the pump did work it will now. If it has been run for more than a few seconds without fuel then the chances are that it is now u/s.

If the pump has run dry it will be burgered, I have 1 or 3 like that in the garage bin.

I found one like this on Ebay

Ebay Fuel Pump

Came with all the connections 2 days after ordering, like Chris says the pump will not suck the fuel up out of the tank. You will need a swirl pot with a seperate pump or feed the pump from the bottom of the tank with the pump lower.

If you just want to run it have a fuel can held higher than the pump fill the pipe so it primes and that should sort it.

Hi, I've also got a few seized fuel pumps.... The last 1 I bought was new, off Ebay for about £30. It looked ok in the photo's, but needed alternative fittings on the outlet. I also installed a pre-pump filter to stop any crap from the tank killing my fun :D

Nick

We have had problems with electric fuel pumps where an over enthusiastic builder, (presumablywith x ray vision :) ), has fitted a filter to the end of the pick up in the tank- where are the filters on your system as there should be one before the pump....somewhere

good luck

Guest MEGGSY

Right, I have now got a high pressure fuel pump on order and an Inline filter - does anyone have any reccomendations for swirl pot / low pressure pump? Cant seem to find a swirl pot for less than £70 which seems a bit steep?

Cheers

you can make your own swirl pot quite easily with an air seperator from a plumbers merchants.

they come with 3 or 4 connections, but you only use 3.

one is used to fill the pot, one to supply the high pressure pump and the third is returned to a T piece in the feed pipe to the low pressure pump - between the tank and the pump.

you also need to take the return from the fuel rail and feed this back into the tank, I did this with a brass tank connector reduced to 8mm and the pipe almost to the bottom of the tank, this cools the returning fuel and prevents cavitation and vapour lock when the fuel heats up.

facet solid state fast road pump worked to supply the swirl pot, used this set up for 8000 miles with no problems

Steve

Guest MEGGSY

Right.....

Got the high pressure pump, primed it and we have a running 2.0 EFI Pinto!

Proposed system:

Fuel Tank

Filter

Low Pressure Pump

Swirl Pot

Return to upstream of low pressure pump

High Pressure Pump

High Pressure Filter

Injector Rail

Fuel Pressure Regulator

Return to Tank

???

Both fuel outlet and return are positioned on the top of the tank. Will the low pressure pump suck from the tank?

Does the high pressure pump need to be lower than the low pressure pump and/or swirl pot?

Cheers

re Does the high pressure pump need to be lower than the low pressure pump and/or swirl pot?

yes as it is gravity fed from swirl pot.

I would t the swirl pot return in to the tank return.

It might be better to add a pot to bottom of tank or get an other tank as it adds up to quite a bit of cash.

Their was a nice tank on e bay the other day for a robin hood with a swirl pot at bottom.web link

If i did it again that is what i would do.

As had both pumps fail a fasit red top feeding the pot and the hi pressure as it ran dry. I could have had a gold plated tank for cash spent on bits?

Stephen