Leaning To The Left

Guest Tweedy

Guest Tweedy

After some bumpy jouneys last weekend my 2B+ has taken on a lean to the left.I've checked the springs on all 4 dampers (Dampertec)and they are all intact but more compressed on the left.Could the problem be seized bushes in the

rear swinging arms?Or less likely in the front wishbones?If so what type of lubricant could be used to free them?

Any ideas gratefully received.

Are not the rear arms rubber mounted & therefor bolted up tight-- vertical movement causes rubber to twist in itself so can't seize only fail altogether? If front wish-bones are seized sugest adding a grease nipple to the inner side of the bush tube -- pump full of grease which will force the plastic bushes out (if wish-bone is off car) or free-off bearing. The inner tubes which lock the bone to the chassis are mild steel & likely to rust if installed "dry". Please shoot me down rapidly if you dis-agree!!

Guest Tweedy

Thanks for the suggestions.The car has done 1200 miles from new.The idea that one spring (at the rear) is weaker seems to be the most likely explanation but does'nt say much for quality control.I'll investigate.

Guest timswait

I very very much doubt that seizure of the bushes will cause this. Look at the force which is applied through your suspension arm (1/4 the weight of the car) and a tight bush won't stop it from moving substiantially. It might slightly effect the dynamic characteristics (the length of time it takes the suspension to rebound) but it won't be able to lock the suspension down (or not by more than a mil or two, the springs are just too strong)

Try jacking the car centrally under one end at a time (so you have the car on 2 wheels and a trolley jack at a time) and see if it tips then. This will help you determine whether it's the front or back that's causing the problem.

Guest Tweedy

Very embarrassing but after lifting the rear wheels off the ground as suggested the lean to the left was still present at the front.So I then discovered that the bumpy journeys last weekend had allowed the LH coil spring adjusting ring to unwind downwards by around 30mm.Presumably the locking grub screw was not tightened enough or at all.Thanks for all the help.