Stone Chips

Andi

Just read this interesting article on a Nissan forum (No pictures though im afraid)

Might give it a try.

Fix those Stone chips

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

we all get them, they're annoying, and Ive had my front bumper resprayed 4 times now because of them, and so here's a cheap solution, before you go any further though, its not as good as a reprayed bumper, but its not bad.

Tools you'll need:

Depending wether you're doing it on the car or not you'll need a few tools to take the bumper off, I took mine off to make it easier on my back.

touch up pen

patience

superglue

patience

wet and dry fine grade (1200 or higher)

patience

beer

patience

cutting polish(T-cut, autoglyms paint renovater, G3)

patience

polishing cloth's

patience

I well further stress the need for patience, I would say I have less than average amount of this, but when it comes to doing my car I have a lot, and I got seriuosly *bleep* at doing this.

before pictures:

Make sure the bumper is nice and clean, touch up using your touch up pen, for the deep holes use a dab superglue after you've put the paint in the hole, this acts as a thick laquar to smooth things out

(at this point I called it a day, and got drunk, leaving the paint and glue to fully dry overnight)

Allow to dry out, then using the wet and dry, fully soaked in really soapy water(I used 1 part water to 1 part washing liquid)and rub bumper where you've been touching up till its smooth(you have to keep dipping in the water)

this is what it'll look like when you're done:

Then rub off after its dried with a cloth, it'll now look like this:

Now that bit should of taken a while, this will take even longer, using the polish and the cloth's, rub like hell where its all dull, after time it will come up shiny and nice again, and here's the finished result:

Guest SEgan

I've done it like that in the past, easy and quick but only good for solid colours.

Also read an article about someone who re-painted his car using a gloss roller, wet n dry and LOTS of cutting compound.

Realy old one's amoungst us will remember BELCO brushing cellulose (?) --paint it on --several thick coats-- then wet & dry--then cutting compound-- then T cut-- then polish-- to find you've rubbed though the finish.

Guest salty_monk

I spray can that way... most important is to get a lot of thin coats on there then flat it back & polish it with T cut.

Comes up pretty good.... here's an example

IMGP4673.jpg

Dan :)