Zero Chassis Paint

Guest rob11

Hello people, new member and just brought a zero (due in Oct or Nov). I am looking into painting the chassis and wondered if anybody has used Bilt-Hamber's Etchweld or Eletrox.

If so which one would be best and approx how much do I need?

Other options appreciated.

Thanks

Rob

:D

Guest mac801123
Hello people, new member and just brought a zero (due in Oct or Nov). I am looking into painting the chassis and wondered if anybody has used Bilt-Hamber's Etchweld or Eletrox.

If so which one would be best and approx how much do I need?

Other options appreciated.

Thanks

Rob

:D

Hi I don't know about their paint but I have a bloke near me who can powder coat the chassis and suspension parts for £100.

Bargin price and no hassel of getting coverd in paint... :good:

Mike B)

Thanks

Have read about the POR15 and was looking into that paint as well.

£100 for powdercoating, bargin..... Anybody know someone in South Derbyshire who will do it that cheap?????

Thanks

Rob

Guest boggybogstar

Trouble with powdercoat is it still chips - and it will chip fitting those panels - not as easy to touch in as chassis paint.

I used 1 coats rustproofer and 3 coats zinc oxide (from toolstation) then 2 coats international garage door enamel from B&Q, tough as anything, looks good and where it's chipped it's easily touched up !!!!!

Guest mac801123
Trouble with powdercoat is it still chips - and it will chip fitting those panels - not as easy to touch in as chassis paint.

I used 1 coats rustproofer and 3 coats zinc oxide (from toolstation) then 2 coats international garage door enamel from B&Q, tough as anything, looks good and where it's chipped it's easily touched up !!!!!

Hi Tony B.

Thats what I like about this site... As a newbie I need all the help I can get.. :unknw:

just when I think I got it right someone tells me a better way to do it.... :rolleyes:

Mike. :good:

• 4 weeks later...

Delivery date 1st November so now need to sort out the paint, I know everyone does thing differently and I suppose there is no right or wrong answer but have come up with the following as my way forward on the chassis painting,

Etch primer U-Pol Acid #8, quick coat

Zinc 182, 2 coats

Black chassis paint, 2-4 coats

Will have to hand paint but will spray the rolll bar from a can at the end.

Does anyone see any problems?????

Thanks

Rob

Guest Larson250
Delivery date 1st November so now need to sort out the paint, I know everyone does thing differently and I suppose there is no right or wrong answer but have come up with the following as my way forward on the chassis painting,

Etch primer U-Pol Acid #8, quick coat

Zinc 182, 2 coats

Black chassis paint, 2-4 coats

Will have to hand paint but will spray the rolll bar from a can at the end.

Does anyone see any problems?????

Thanks

Rob

Rob,

I picked my Zero up on Friday and currently painting the chassis, my descision (rightly or wronly) is one coat of U Pol etch primer followed by two coats of U Pol 20/20 primer (two pack) then finally two coats of Delfleet top coat, again two pack.

I've flatted back after each coat so far, loads to do yet though, and it takes more paint than you might think.

Regards,

Dean

Guest chris brown
what's wrong with hammerite ? :unsure:

What’s right with Hammerite? It is great for your steel gates and fences but don’t let it anywhere near a car. The stuff chips and then lifts trapping water so encourages rust. BTW a tin of the stuff will make a good door stop.

Guest Larson250
Dean,

How much etch primer did you use??

Thinking 1L should be enough same for the zinc primer!!

Rob

Rob,

The stuff i am using comes as a two pack system so you get a litre of paint and a litre of activator. It cost £21.00 + VAT.

This will be plenty for all the parts i intend to paint.

Dean