Exhaust Wrap

Guest jwts

Hi John i got mine from Rally Design in faversham here is there number 01795 531871

Deano,

They sell a wrap called Powerap but I can't find anyone else that sells it. Is it any good? What's it made from?

It's a lot cheaper than the ThermoTec wrap.

John (jwts).

• 2 weeks later...
I used the 2" by 50' & had just enough from memory. Mine was itchy Aluminium type. If you get covered in it, take a cold shower after not a hot one as it'll open up the pores & irritate it even worse!

I didn't use cable ties, I stripped some "twin & earth" electrical cable & used the solid copper wire to wrap the pipe, then twisted the ends to secure & tighten. Lastly fold the twisted end back flat to the pipe. Worked Great.

Hi,

Did you wrap the copper wire round and round and just twist it when you got to an end, or did you use it like the SS ties, once round and then twist?

I've bought the Thermo Tec copper and I like the idea of using copper wire to hold it.

Regards,

John.

Guest timswait
I love it cos mine lives outside mostly so it's always wet and when I start up by the time I get to the main road junction you can't see the car for the cloud of steam as the exhaust heats up and everyone thinks it's on fire

I thought that was just me!

Guest Ad_W2001
Hi,

Did you wrap the copper wire round and round and just twist it when you got to an end, or did you use it like the SS ties, once round and then twist?

I've bought the Thermo Tec copper and I like the idea of using copper wire to hold it.

Regards,

John.

Where I work during the holidays restoring vintage Bentleys we use copper wire to secure the wrap, round and round a good few times before twisting the ends to tighten and finish it.

Adam

• 4 weeks later...
Hi,

Is exhaust wrap a good idea? If so which is the best type to use and any suggestion on where to buy it?

If I bring it out onto the pipework outside the engine bay will it withstand the weather?

Is there any sort of exhaust wrap to avoid?

Thanks for any info.

John (jwts).

Hi,

To reply to my own question - it does seem a good idea :) . I fitted the copper coloured wrap from ThermoTec and there is a big difference between the surface temp with it and without it.

I used 50ft of 1 inch wrap which just covers the piping in the engine bay. The surface temp of this pipework was over 300C before and now measures 140C (at the hottest points). Where the pipework exits the engine bay (and the wrap runs out) it is 230C.

BTW - Does anyone know why they have added copper to the wrap? It seems contradictory to add a good conductor of heat to a heat insulating product. My guess is it has some role to even out hot spots (which may be related to the discussion about the added stress than can be caused by exhaust wrap) but it is just a guess.

Regards,

John (jwts).

Guest chris brown

I also thought it was a good idea to use wrap but after having it on for several years the other week I had to remove it as the 4 into one had decided to part company with the 4 pipes and needed re-welding on. Upon removing the wrap I was gob smacked to find the "stainless" pipes red rust to the point where the outer surface could be chipped off. I have cleaned them up as best as I can and painted them with manifold paint and guess what? I won’t be using wrap again.

Guest salty_monk

The fact that it holds water/damp & can cause stress cracks in welds etc is definitely one issue. Ceramic coating (Flo coat) is better if you can afford it.

I didn't fit it on my 2nd car for that reason. It does make a difference in surface temp of the pipes though as noted above but at the expense of some longevity.

Chris I think they use a grade of stainless with more carbon as it's more malleable & less prone to cracking when they shape it.

Dan :)

I think you will find that stainless steel corrodes more when air is excluded from the surface--a test that springs to mind--put a tight fitting rubber band around a piece of stainless & leave in a jar of water for a couple of days--there will (should?) be more discolouration under the band--or is this another poorly remembered fairy tale!!

Guest salty_monk
Hi,

Regards,

John.

Wrapped it around twice & then twisted the ends together like one of those plastic covered wire "twisters" you get with your apples at the supermarket...