Clutch B*ggered For Christmas!

swan

pauls car (vindicator with a V8 in it) has been sat in my garage for 3 to four months and is now up and running. (althoiugh that bl**dy spark is back on the coil)

however when we tried to reverse it out of the garage today we couldnt select reverse, or any other gear.

with the engine off, it is possible to select all gears, (the clutch pedal isnt seized) but as its in a driveway, we cant run it back wards into the road! (when you turn the key even with the clutch fully depressed it wants to fly back! and the only way to stop it is to kill the ignition)

any ideas?

cheers

paul

Paul Clutch plate is stuck to flywheel - Does this if you leave them for a while. Best thing to do is to start car in gear with foot firmly pressed on brake and chocked if possible to stop it moving. Should free itself off.

Guest chris brown
pauls car (vindicator with a V8 in it) has been sat in my garage for 3 to four months and is now up and running. (althoiugh that bl**dy spark is back on the coil)

however when we tried to reverse it out of the garage today we couldnt select reverse, or any other gear.

with the engine off, it is possible to select all gears, (the clutch pedal isnt seized) but as its in a driveway, we cant run it back wards into the road! (when you turn the key even with the clutch fully depressed it wants to fly back! and the only way to stop it is to kill the ignition)

any ideas?

cheers

paul

A common fault with a car that hasn’t been used. The driven plate has rusted to the pressure plate or flywheel. The usual way to release it is to get the engine nice and hot. switch off, now select 1st (you need a good clear road ahead) and start the car keeping the clutch pedal depressed drive off using full throttle and then no throttle repeatedly. I know it sounds harsh but it's easier than removing the engine and I’ve never had it fail but once it took over a mile before it broke free. It's not so common nowadays but when I started people used to "lay" there cars up for the winter and then come spring we used to get called to get them going.

Paul Clutch plate is stuck to flywheel - Does this if you leave them for a while. Best thing to do is to start car in gear with foot firmly pressed on brake and chocked if possible to stop it moving. Should free itself off.

As Lee says, this is a very common fault, but before you do as Lee suggests, run the car for 30 mins or so, let it get nice and warmed up, get some heat in the metal.

I personally would push the car out onto the road, get your coat on, then start it up in gear (1st) without the h/brake on, and continue to drive it, change gears as per normal, although for the first few it might "crash" through them, it will soon release.

Be aware if you need to stop and it still hasn't released, knock out of gear and coast to stop, switch off, and start all over again. i'll bet it'll clear very quickly.

Thanks all

Tried big lees method and sucess .Paul has been for a quick blast and

says it's ok.

My series 2 has been in pauls mate's garage for the same amount of time

so may face the problem again.

cheers to all and a merry christmas

swan