Dimmer? What Is It?

Guest Phil Slater

Guest Phil Slater

I've been working on the Sierra loom in the garage this weekend. A bit nippy out there in it? I've been stripping off the tape and trying to remove unwanted/un-needed cable. I had labled everything up reasonably well when I stripped the donor and haven't had many problems save that the colour coding in the Haynes manual does not always seem to match my loom :huh: Why am I not surprised!!!

When I removed the wiring connectors from the steering cloumn I bundled them together, two for the offside and two for nearside which I thought was enough :( .l However, trying to trace the wiring on the circuit diagrams and relating it to my connectors I seem to have one connector from the steering column with the wiring for the "dimmer (switch)".

Can anyone tell me what this dimmer is?

I think I'm right in saying that this is not the dimmer for the instrument cluster lights, as I already have the connectors and rheostat for that. I can of course plug it into the socket on the steering column, no problem; but if it's redundent wiring I'd rather remove it from the loom if possible.

Any guidance would be seriously appreciated.

Phil Slater

Guest TerryBarry

I wouldn't get too busy with the cutters Phil

I think item 36 would be more accurately described as the Dip Switch.

It's the push / pull on the indicator arm that switches main / dip and when pulled back flashes the headlights

Terry

Guest Phil Slater

Yep! Of course it's the dip switch :rolleyes: .

If I'd have followed the circuit diagram just a little further I'd have made the right connection :blink: if you'll pardon the pun!! I think I was a bit thrown off track by the Haynes manual having the Dip Beam relays right next to the dimmer switch, in the components list.

If your gonna refer to them as "Dip" why call the switch a dimmer switch <_< .

Anyway, thanks for the input chaps.

All the best

Phil Slater

Guest FIRSTBUILD

Hi if you remove the panel light dimmer switch do you "join " the wires to make it a continuos circuit ?? also if you remove the intermitant speed control for the wipers do you just remove the switch or do you have to join up the wires please ?

thanks steve

If you remove the panel light dimmer control you should join its Grey(?Grey/Yellow) supply to its Grey/Green output and lose the Brown earth wire. If you dont want variable speed wipe you can remove its switch and relay and thats it. No extra conections to make but you could trim out the wires that come from the 31B2 and 53-2 connections on the column switch to save an ounce and ditch the relay. Drew the pre 87 circuit ages ago to clarify (after 87, fuse 15 does both instead of 3 & 8). Amazingly the standard ford circuit (including the intermittent) ends at the wiper motor in 5 wires which will run either the sierra motor or a 2 speed lucas motor.