Battery Position

jmspec

I mounted my battery in the suggested position for my Turbo super spec which was under the radiator. This position was really, really hard to connect the battery which I have had to do many times during the build.

Today I decided that enough was enough and so I took it off (which took about 1 1/2 hours).

I know you will be thinking to move it to the normal position against the fire wall, but on the Turbo there is no room.

I have searched the forum as it must have been covered before, but cannot find it.

What I would like to do is mount it in the boot. Are there any special conditions like seperate compartment or can I just find a suitable position and fasten it in?

Thanks, Jez

Hi Jez,

Oh Lordy Lordy! :D

Firstly, there's nothing wrong with what you've suggested.

You must've joined though just after the famous Battery Bill left the ranks.

Do a search and you should find plenty to inform & ponder over.

Guest markhorton

My everyday car has got it's battery in the boot. It sits in a recess in the boot floor and is covered with a plastic tray and then the carpet. It is open to the boot area but all live connections are understandably well insulated/covered. If it's good enough for BMW (and more I presume) then why not go for it. As Grizzly says do a search and there is quite a bit to go through, for's and against.

HTH

Mark

If you're going to mount it in the boot, make sure that you use larger pos battery cable, I would suggest 25mm², as there will be an increased power loss over the increased distance. obviously the earth can go straight to the chassis in the boot.

As an aside, if you're looking for a decent clamp to hold the battery, get one from a mondeo. or try a battery box made for caravans.