2b Rack Extenders

agent_zed

Hi all,

thought i'd mention this again (sure i mentioned this on here a couple of years ago) as some people may wish to check/replace their rack extenders. My 2b came with rack extenders to make the steering rack the correct length with some studing to match the track rod ends. The extenders i had were about 3 inches long this left only 1.5inches to screw in each side.

The steering rack i had (ive read that it was a modded metro rack ?!) had a fine-ish thread which is where my problem lies. I found on my rack arm threads tapered ever so slightly which ment that the threads were quite loose when the rack extender was screwed on 1.5 inches. i believed this to be a bad thing as it kind of controls where my car is going and i dont want the threads to strip out.

To cure this i had new extenders made up which were at least twice the length. I found that when these extenders were wound up near the top of the threads on the rack arms the threads were much more acceptable with far less play. It also means that i have more threads to allow setting the tracking. You may think i am fussy (which i am :rolleyes: ) but tricky dicky obviously thought i wasnt talking rubbish as he payed (in the way of a free set of 4 sva bonnet catches) for the cost of the new extenders that i had had made.

This was quite a few years ago now but my memory was jogged by the threads on re-designin the wishbones.

Obviously i dont wish to scare anyone but it might be worth checking that you are happy with the set up.

hth