Steering Column

Guest MarkB

im having major issues with my steering column, when anybody gets time can they pop some pics of the column near the exhaust because mine just does not look right and it has got no chance of turning :huh: :huh:

thanks in advance

Hi Mark, I've not got any suitable Photo's, but you're welcome to look at the steering set up in mine. I may be free over the weekend if you want to give me a call. Either for you to come to me or to meet somewhere.

Nick

Cheers Nick, im at work on saturday at the garage (Amberley Garage across from don valley stadium) then hopefully having a day on the car at home on the sunday, i would much appreciate having a look... well to be honest having one of my mechanics look might be better as he is the one thats going to have to fabricate any changes as i am usless at welding :rolleyes:

Guest chris brown

Mark where the column goes through the firewall it needs to be as far to the side of the car as you can get it in fact so close to the chassis so you can’t get a fag paper between the UJ and the vertical chassis rail. Then it should miss the exhaust by about 10mm. I know it sounds strange and you would expect the column to go straight from the wheel so as to be in line with the driver, but no the steering wheel sits at an angle. This is not noticeable with the 11" wheel fitted but certainly is if you still have the Sierra wheel on during the build.

Mark where the column goes through the firewall it needs to be as far to the side of the car as you can get it in fact so close to the chassis so you can’t get a fag paper between the UJ and the vertical chassis rail. Then it should miss the exhaust by about 10mm. I know it sounds strange and you would expect the column to go straight from the wheel so as to be in line with the driver, but no the steering wheel sits at an angle. This is not noticeable with the 11" wheel fitted but certainly is if you still have the Sierra wheel on during the build.

Thanks for the info chris, i had another look tonight and the main problem i have is the bits i got with the kit are from a 1990 cvh which do differ slightly from some older sierra's.

I have decided that to get mohammed around the mountain is going to be a ball ache sooooo im gonna move the mountain instead, im going to pull a favor from exhausts.co.uk around the corner from my firm and get them to reshape the exhaust to how i want it :rolleyes: should be done and ready for the afternoon.