Efi Fuel Pump

NeilD

OK all I did was re-route / renew the pipe from the fuel tank to fuel filter to fuel pump.

I drive about 1 mile and engine dies.

When I turn on the ignition the relays seen to pick OK but I'm sure the fuel pump used to run briefly - doesn't any more.

Haven't had time to investigate yet but if anyone knows what replacement pump the EFi might need ( or pressure values etc. )

Hasn't been a good winter for the car - voltage guage has given up, got an oil leak ( front crank bearing seal ) and a water ( water pump ) leak, may as well do the timing belt while I am at it - Ho Hum................

So much for just tidying up the dash this winter <_<

Guest chris brown
OK all I did was re-route / renew the pipe from the fuel tank to fuel filter to fuel pump.

I drive about 1 mile and engine dies.

When I turn on the ignition the relays seen to pick OK but I'm sure the fuel pump used to run briefly - doesn't any more.

Haven't had time to investigate yet but if anyone knows what replacement pump the EFi might need ( or pressure values etc. )

Hasn't been a good winter for the car - voltage guage has given up, got an oil leak ( front crank bearing seal ) and a water ( water pump ) leak, may as well do the timing belt while I am at it - Ho Hum................

So much for just tidying up the dash this winter <_<

Virtually any injection pump will do as they all run above 2.5 bar but it makes life easier if you use one with the same size input and output pipes i.e. Ford is 15mm in and 8mm out. I am assuming you have an external pump. The chances are you have either introduced or more likely disturbed a bit of crud which is now stuck in the pump. Remove the pump and try to free the impeller (fiddly but can be done) once free refit but this time fit a filter in the pipe just before the pump as the chances are you don’t have a filter in the tank.

The EFI fuel pump works by spinning a gear inside another gear almost like a planetry gearbox. The gaps between the inner and outer teeth are very small thus the way you get a high fuel pressure. I only know this, as I had the same problem a few years ago and stripped mine down to investigate the problem. Although I couldn't mend the pump that I stripped down, it did enable to understand how they work, and thus sort the problem out when it happened to my replacement pump a week later! The issue is caused by small debris getting into the pump. I.E. make sure you have a good filter directly before the pump. To clear the pump, take it off the car, disconnect any pipework, and fit two wires to the pump. Then rapidly fit the terminals one way to a battery and then the other and back again etc.. This will basically jar the motor forwards and backwards until the debris comes out. Re-fit with a decent filter!

Hope that helps.

Andy

Guest Duncan Venn

I have a Sierra pump that I want to fit when I put the injection stuff in my car. I've noticed the difference between the input and output diameters, but I've never seen a fuel pipe as wide as that, nor is the metal pipe coming out of the tank. The bloke I got it off had bodged it so that a narrower pipe fed the pump. Is it critical that the input pipe from the tank is 15mm, or assuming a similiar bodge is done, will a narrower bore be sufficient?

Alternatively, should I go for a different fuel pump?

Duncan

My EFI pump had 15mm inlet,which is same as 15mm copper tube,so removed "swelling" on end of pipe & fitted 15/8 compression pipe fitting(some soldering involved--but NOT when on the pump) then standard fuel filter & Gates hoses.

The chances are you have either introduced or more likely disturbed a bit of crud which is now stuck in the pump. Remove the pump and try to free the impeller (fiddly but can be done)

Suspect this may be the cause and worth a go ( as I couldnt remember which way round the filter went ) - Thanks

Guest chris brown
Is it critical that the input pipe from the tank is 15mm, or assuming a similiar bodge is done, will a narrower bore be sufficient?

Duncan

No it isn’t critical Duncan I have a standard in line plastic filter as a pre filter so I used a "plumbing" pipe reducer fitting to go down from 15mm to 8mm for the input to the filter then a second one to bring it back to 15 mm for the pump (mine has run with this setup for years). Obliviously if your output from the tank is only 8mm then you will only need one fitting to connect from filter to pump.

It lives again....

Removed the fuel pump - tried connecting to a battery, reversed connections etc and gave up after a while.

Had a look at fuel pumps on the net but there are so many and so many fittings I gave up on that too.

Back out to the garage - bloody hard bang with a hammer and a bit of verbal abuse and the original pump burst back into life :D

It was crud in the pump - I had put the filter back the wrong way round - DOH