Be Very Careful Folks

ibrooks

Scary story.

Reading between the lines this bloke has a kit and has modified it since by adding some chassis members, changing the engine (though that sounds like it's been like-for like) and the gearbox. It's then been featured in a magazine and the jobsworths have read the article and want to inspect it.

Be careful what you do to yours folks - or at least be careful what you tell anyone about. I'd be very interested to see what they actually want to inspect and what they say about the changes. Although given the experiences I and others I know of have had with VOSA and DVLA I doubt whatever happens with this guy's car could be taken as any indicator of what might happen to any other vehicle.

Iain

Guest Jabberwocky

I am sure I read a while ago about when IVA's came into effect that if a VOSA rep thought that a car had been changed by an amount that it was no longer classed as standard then it was liable to be re IVA's. However at the time it was giving the example of someone with a 1.0L Corsa putting a 2.0L turbo engine just to confirm the conversion was safe.

I do not think that if a vehicle has been sva'd then VOSA have no record of what the standard car was (in the case of that kit car)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest george_lincoln
I am sure I read a while ago about when IVA's came into effect that if a VOSA rep thought that a car had been changed by an amount that it was no longer classed as standard then it was liable to be re IVA's. However at the time it was giving the example of someone with a 1.0L Corsa putting a 2.0L turbo engine just to confirm the conversion was safe.

I do not think that if a vehicle has been sva'd then VOSA have no record of what the standard car was (in the case of that kit car)

Although if a vehicle subsequently failed an SVA (or IVA) its highly probably that it has been changed. Not sure if I like the idea of them just being able to decide that a vehicle needs another SVA/IVA at full cost, could cause all sorts of trouble for the industry.

Guest MarkB
Although if a vehicle subsequently failed an SVA (or IVA) its highly probably that it has been changed. Not sure if I like the idea of them just being able to decide that a vehicle needs another SVA/IVA at full cost, could cause all sorts of trouble for the industry.

if they wish to re-examine a car because of any due suspicions, then a fee cannot be applied.

Guest george_lincoln

I'd love that to be true, but the first IVA/SVA is chargable, a VIC is chargable, an MOT is chargable, someone has to do the work, and someone has to pay that person to do the work.

Guest MarkB
I'd love that to be true, but the first IVA/SVA is chargable, a VIC is chargable, an MOT is chargable, someone has to do the work, and someone has to pay that person to do the work.

the only way legally they can charge is that if they deem the vehicle to be over "modified" then they may make the owner redo or remove the said modifications then it would be for the owner to pay for a new sva test for the owner to proof its road worthiness.

Guest george_lincoln
the only way legally they can charge is that if they deem the vehicle to be over "modified" then they may make the owner redo or remove the said modifications then it would be for the owner to pay for a new sva test for the owner to proof its road worthiness.

What if they say the vehicle has been modified to such an extent is is no longer the vehicle that was originally SVA'd, and subject of the the build up report, and it would then require an IVA as a rebuilt vehicle or similar?

Guest MarkB
What if they say the vehicle has been modified to such an extent is is no longer the vehicle that was originally SVA'd, and subject of the the build up report, and it would then require an IVA as a rebuilt vehicle or similar?

To prove that they would have to inspect it, at their cost, then the rest is as i have already stated.

I spoke to my local enforcment officer about this on friday and his knowledge a car has never been forced to retake an sva test. Plenty of vehicles get served prohabition notices but these are removed by showing them an mot certificate that was issued after the prohabition notice serving.

Guest george_lincoln
To prove that they would have to inspect it, at their cost, then the rest is as i have already stated.

I spoke to my local enforcment officer about this on friday and his knowledge a car has never been forced to retake an sva test. Plenty of vehicles get served prohabition notices but these are removed by showing them an mot certificate that was issued after the prohabition notice serving.

unless of course an engine change has been done, then DVLA are told something has changed on the car, and they could potentially refuse to re-issue the V5 until an SVA is done, much like they do with a VIC at the moment.