Honda F1 Saved

Guest Jabberwocky

i am sure i used to eat brauwn , was it not offel or tounges ?

glad to see though that we might see jenson doining his thing next year .

graham

Guest timswait

It is good news, there was talk last year that since they had built such a dreadful car for last season that they abandoned development on it and put all their effort into designing a decent one for this season. In which case they should be pretty strong, especially with Ross Brawn in charge. On the other hand I'm wondering where they'll get their money from, this picture from sniff petrol seems likely!

post-218-1236776942_thumb.jpg

It is good news, there was talk last year that since they had built such a dreadful car for last season that they abandoned development on it and put all their effort into designing a decent one for this season. In which case they should be pretty strong, especially with Ross Brawn in charge. On the other hand I'm wondering where they'll get their money from, this picture from sniff petrol seems likely!

OK, The demise of Honda and the birth of Brawn GP in a nutshell.

2007: Honda have Nick Fry designing car but decide to put a brilliant bike designer in overall charge. Brilliant at designing bikes and sh1t at building a F1 car. Result is last years car and people slagging off Fry as being the spawn of satan.

2008 Ross Brawn comes on board and decides it's a pup. Writes off the season and gives himself a 9 month design window with Fry to build what looks like an awesome car. Honda announce they are withdrawing from F1. However, Honda are not bankrupting the team as they can't and have some significant financial committments such as signing Jensons new deal a few weeks earlier. Doh!!

2009 Lots of speculation about everyone and their dog buying the outfit but looked all along that it would be a management buyout. My suspicion is that Honda have bankrolled this and maintained a stake whichmay come into play in a few years. In the meantime, Brawn has the guarentees to place Financial commitments and has a shakedown at Silverstone.

Everything looks straight and the car isn't held together by Gaffer Tape and Blue Tac.

Currently in testing, the car is in the top 3 as far as times go. However, how much of this is showboating with light loads? Not too much actually. The car is fast out of the box. A few mutterings about potential sponsors and things look hunky dory.

They have a car and an engine with KERS sorted and about 60hp more than last year, one of the most dedicated teams in the sport and good management.

Brawn GP are going to turn heads this year I think.

Guest Jabberwocky

I do not think the Fry had anything to do with designing the car. He is the CEO not anything to do with design (I might be wrong as it was a few years ago and I have slept since then). I think Honda's biggest problem is that they like to rotate there people through all the Honda empire, and building and designing an F1 car is a bit of an art that someone on an 18month work experience before getting carted off to Honda PR is not the way to run an F1 team. Brawn GP I have big hopes for, and I agree I think that Honda are bankrolling it on the QT so that if in a few years when the credit crunch has gone they will just ask for the keys back. Hopefully in that time Brawn will of been able to prove that the way Honda works in F1 is not the best way and they just pay him some to keep things as they are.

I do not think the Fry had anything to do with designing the car. He is the CEO not anything to do with design (I might be wrong as it was a few years ago and I have slept since then). I think Honda's biggest problem is that they like to rotate there people through all the Honda empire, and building and designing an F1 car is a bit of an art that someone on an 18month work experience before getting carted off to Honda PR is not the way to run an F1 team. Brawn GP I have big hopes for, and I agree I think that Honda are bankrolling it on the QT so that if in a few years when the credit crunch has gone they will just ask for the keys back. Hopefully in that time Brawn will of been able to prove that the way Honda works in F1 is not the best way and they just pay him some to keep things as they are.

Sorry Jabberwocky

I ment that Nicks job is to manage the day to day development and direction rather than physically designing the car. More "inspired" than desined although Ross would have had a very active involvement as well.

Guest Jabberwocky

I think BrawnGP at the moment is showing good basic speed but I think that people like McLaren are sandbaggin a lot.

I remember Prost running very light and doing well in preseason testing when they where in there death throws. I am not saying Brawn has not got any speed but no one will know for sure until March 28th. I for one can not wait.