Porting 4 In To 1 Manifold

Guest bloke

andy, i might not have described this enough or used the right term, when you look into the ends that fix to the head, the inner bit is rough, with excess pipe at all angles and weld protrusions. i think i read somewhere that if you smooth this crap off then the exhaust gasses can exit quicker = quicker acceleration

i took a file to one hole and 15 mins later apart from sweat drippin off my head not much else to show for the work

if as you say this task is futile and wont make any diff that would be good any ideas anyone?

am thinkin that when its all bolted on and the sides are fitted it wont come off for this work to be done in retrospect????

Guest Andy Rathbone

oh ok, oops its a bit late as i have fitted the manifold and the side panels, so bugger it. have you got a dremil thingy, that would probably do the trick quicker than filing by hand

As you rightly say "porting" is used to smooth the gas flow from the head down the pipe. Not only should the pipe be smooth internally but for maximum benefit (ie if you're going racing) in its extreme form the exhaust ports and indeed the inlet ports should be perfectly matched to the manifolds.

I used to do this by using a long bit of cardboard like a gasket but with no gas holes in it, clamped between the manifold and the head then bolted up tight. When you then remove the manifold an impression is left in the cardboard for each port. You then cut out the holes corresponding to the impression and can then see exactly how the manifold lines up with the head port. Crude but it works.

Scribe a line on the head and grind out the head to match.

Ergo you get a perfectly "ported" head..... Ideally you still need to smooth out the ports internally in the head but that's another story.

Franky with 2000cc in a car weighing only just over half a ton even with my fat arse in it, mine will be quick enough for the road without all this sort of extra work.

Guest Phil Slater

If you have access to a small router it can be used as a die grinder, using either the popular little porting stones or actual die grinder bits.

Machine Mart actually sell a small router, Clarke CR1 Plunge Router, with a set of assorted grinding stones to be used a die grinder. Alot more "manly" than a Dremel.

Phil Slater

Guest Phil Slater

I don't want to be teaching my grandmother to suck eggs here , so to speak, :unsure: but just a note of caution, born of experience :( .

Take it nice and slowly - the routers running at much higher revs than an electric drill. Not only can you end up taking off more than you bargained for, particularly if you are using die grinder bits, but if the bit bites on something unexpectedly the torque from the router can pull it form your hand. Miraculously, apart from a strange brown stain in me under-duds :wacko: , let the reader understand, I only bent the shaft of the bit, and didn't damage the head at all.

So, slowly, slowly, catchee monkey ;) as they say.

Phil Slater

just to show you the difference, well the photos not that clear. all the rough edges have been radiussed with an attempt to improve gas flow!?

hope it will improve engine performance but anyhows the weight ive lost with this hard labour will help even if the rediusing/ porting wont!

post-6-1071926971.jpg

Guest John Hammond

I took my 4 into 1 manifold to a local garage because half the welds were missing. He fixed it for me but was not impressed at all because of the all the protruding edges etc etc. The bloke at the garage prepares and races a vintage F1 car so I assume he knows his stuff. He said the engine would be 'cammy as hell' - if he means not much torque and a narrow power band he's right!

So I guess a bit of grinding, routing etc is probably well worth the effort.