Alternator Wiring.....help Pls.

Bob Tucker

OK.

Pls dont laugh....Ive had a succesion of very senior moments recently..

Got an XE with a standard XE alternator. Was working fine until I fitted the new engine.

The round connectors got pulled off the wires when I removed the alternator (cos they were still bolted on!!)

The big brown + wire was obvious, onto the big terminal.

The small brown + wire should have gone to the small terminal next to the big one, but I fitted it to the earth bolt :o on the alternator body, which fried the entire length of the wire...

So run a new wire, connect it correctly to the small terminal & the alternator seems to be charging, the lights get a bit brighter when the engine is revved up.

BUT no matter where I connect the brown/yellow wire (marked as ignition light on the RH wiring diagram) I either get a permanent ign light on, or it is off with ignition on, & on when engine runs, or it wont light at all.

Have I wired something wrong, or have I fried something in the alternator?

Answers in single syllables please...

Ta Bob

Guest salty_monk

If the alternator is getting very hot at idle, you've fried something. Dad's Sierra did that years back when he left his lights on at work & jumpstarted it off the fork lift without looking at the forklift terminals (battery was mounted high). He connected wrong way...

It displayed that problem too.

Dan :)