Strippin Loom

Guest bloke

hi all

i have heard that the engine loom is almost a seperate part needed to add from the donor to the vg. my donod was a 2l efi and i have revisited the donors loom and started to strip it but theres quite a few wires going from the engine sec to others?! have only stripped some of the rear lights and centre console secs and have now lost me bottle

can any one advise?????

post-8-1072035102.jpg

Guest Battery Bill

Hi Bloke

We did not have the "Bottle" fitted in our loom possibly it was an earlier model :p

Yes the engine bit of the loom is nearly a seperate bit but there is still a load of junk that you will not need so don't worry.

Once you get rid of the obvious bits radio/elect doors/mirrors/central locking/ etc there will not be as much to worry about.

You will need a lot of thinking to work out why there is a wire going from "whatever to wherever" because there is some surprises but it will work out in the end use your Haynes which is OK once you work out what it all means ;)

Good luck with finding your bottle

:D

cheers bj, as always good advice - just soooo many wires going everywhere.

i was wondering what all the big boxes were - 1 is ecu but theres another 2, have cut one out as rear lights went into it but some big yellow wires from the engine sec go into the other??? any ideas

found me bottle now, says dont open till xmas!!! cant wait!

Guest Battery Bill

Hi Bloke

Any chance of a picture cos we do not know what you mean! :wacko:

Especially lost us when your rear lights went into it. <_<

Is it a black plastic box with a white button on it? if so thats the "inertia cut off switch" for the fuel that is pretty near the rear lights.

Cheers

Bill

Bloke

:huh: you are getting advice from someone who (allegedly) is going to put the battery in the wrong place :huh:

The box you are refering to detects when a bulb has blown...there are easier ways to tell if a bulb has blown!

Dave

hi

have just seperated the engine loom (i think) and am lookin for some advice...

in the end i traced wires back from the eec IV box and have it seperated from the rest of the loom, with the only wire a thick red one going to a relay (cut now)

does this sound ok?

the vg loom has some engine connectors alternator and the chart shows the starter comin off the thin black box on an aluminium plate...

guess you can tell this isnt an exact science to me, i dont like electrics!!! :boohoo:

Guest Getting There

Hello All

This was written for a friend who had the sdame problem and it worked well.....

I have just connected up the VG loom to an injection system and its really not that bad so long as you can completly seperate the two looms (engine and the rest). On the ECU loom you should have the two relays (yellow) connected with a fuse. There is a black wire which runs to the back of the car to power the fuel pump. To power the loom there is one red wire ( which may have a section which is sheathed in black) to +ve connection on the battery, there are also two -ve wires which go straight to earth, these are permantly connected. To link into the VG loom there is a multi plug which is not used (used to connect to the rest of the loom) that looks like the ones that go to connect to the EFI unit on the engine (located towards the distributor plug! On that plug thats not used there are five wires as follows

Black This is where the white from VG goes to, and turns on when the ingnition is turned on

Red/White This wire is not used and can be removed from the loom as it connected the temp guage to the other loom in the sierra

Green or Brown This is the one which connects to the white/Black on VG and goes to the rev guage

Blue/Black This wire is not used

Green/Brown This wire was the oil pressure switch on the sierra so doesnt need using

On the distributor is a unit which allows the engine to run in 'limp home' mode so if the ECU isn't correctly wired or if there is another fault it will run but not rev, which sounded familiar!!!! The reason that the temp guage and oil pressure switch can be removed from ECU loom from the sierra is that they are on the VG loom and dont actually go into the ECU. The Blue/Black wire from the above connections we could not trace but i have rigged mine up like i have mentioned and all seems well so far, fuel pump on for five secs then off, and comes on again when the engine is cranked (feed wire runs at about 12v now).

I hope this is helpful and does not throw up any more problems!!!

I did this and mine burst up and into action straight away....what a great sound..........................

Good Luck!!

Chris Stubbs!!!

Any problems you can e-mail at (stubbsy5@parkdrive.fsnet.co.uk)

ta gettinthere, excelent write up

i have a seperate loom witout the relays and fuel pump feed... oh hec!

back to the freezin garage soon me thinks...

any advice which way to go next

ta in advance 'blindfold bloke!'

kin' loom

keep readin the wall chart an "connect four wires an jobs a good un" - ho ho ho

i have no relays in the engine loom (until i fix the pump wirin) an the wall chart doent say there should be any?

looked at haines and the diag has relays sensors tif boxes etc all of which are not included on the wall chart?

im aware that you are not auto electricians out there but i dont think im tryin to reinvent the wheel?!? :(

heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp please... :boohoo:

• 3 weeks later...

i now have three relays in the sierra engine loom, engine management/ ignition and fuel pump and following the haines seem to have them routed (had to hack all three out of the sierra loom thats past the two multi pin plugs that connect the bulk of the engine loom to the rest

i could be gettin close to firin her up soon but can neone advise if its poss to put an inline fuse or circuit breaker in somewhere to protect the loom

ps i have removed the vg loom for the moment to completely seperate the two and concentrate on gettin the engine goin

your help as always greatly appreciated :ph34r: