High Tensile Bolts

Guest sritony

Guest sritony

I'll start off by saying Thank you all for your help so far its helped me a great deal and from wanting to sell the car and happy to make a massive loss just to get rid of it , to enjoying it again and actually doing some work on it! So thank you all!

but yes I am confused again and yes I need expert advice (well just any will do) :huh: as usual forgive the none technical terms.

This bolt was the top bolt for my alt and was holding it on till the other day

post-3381-1239459127_thumb.jpg

The doner car was a G reg Sierra

its currently 65 mm long but with some snapped off and i would say 8mm width (no idea how much is left in car)

I have went to several scrap yards today (getting very dirty, under cars in dodgy posistions, nearly getting run over by cranes and getting loads of confused looks the usual fun saturday activities with the worse half) I did find a sierra in one but he wouldn't let me touch it as it hadn't been made safe??? and also lots of car shops all with the exact same responce a big resounding nope don't have them have you tried so and so, would try there and same again, quite a number of hours later and I have resorted to looking on Ebay there are loads on there but no adverts seem to make it clear what I am after. I have no idea if its too long, too wide or indeed too short, some have a description of m8 x 80 does this mean 8mm by 80mm??

Is there a better website I should be looking at?

Or should I get one made somewhere?

Also on my previous post people mentioned the old one had been tap'd what does this mean?

Thank you in advance!

Guest Nigel Novice

Is ther a chance of seeing a pic of the bolt head, most have a code on the top to signify tensile strength, with 4.6 = putty and 10.8 = strong and any in between being softer there are some above as well, this is for normal steel, stainless has a "A" number most being A2

Guest sritony
Is ther a chance of seeing a pic of the bolt head, most have a code on the top to signify tensile strength, with 4.6 = putty and 10.8 = strong and any in between being softer there are some above as well, this is for normal steel, stainless has a "A" number most being A2

on the bolt head it says 8.8 CS M

Guest woolly
some have a description of m8 x 80 does this mean 8mm by 80mm??
yes but the 80mm does not inc the head.

fit the alt and put a dowl in (old pencil) where the bolt would go so you can mark it to find the length required.

for some reason i can't picture the fitting as its different to as i remember. but if the part of the alt where the bolt goes is threaded then the nut after is a lock nut and should be undone first and tightened last if adjusting the belt. i say that cos i think that is where the origanal faut came from

a ford dealer may have it on the shelf as its not a standard bolt

sorry can't be more help

woolly

Guest sritony
yes but the 80mm does not inc the head.

fit the alt and put a dowl in (old pencil) where the bolt would go so you can mark it to find the length required.

for some reason i can't picture the fitting as its different to as i remember. but if the part of the alt where the bolt goes is threaded then the nut after is a lock nut and should be undone first and tightened last if adjusting the belt. i say that cos i think that is where the origanal faut came from

a ford dealer may have it on the shelf as its not a standard bolt

sorry can't be more help

woolly

Woolly the fitting looks like this and this is the top bolt that holds the alt in

post-3381-1239462246_thumb.jpg

Hi Tony

Pleased to see you are getting your hands dirty LOL

Try giving these a shot

E-Trakka Fasteners Ltd Nuts & Bolts

Tel: 01670 545552 Unit 35, Grasmere Way, Blyth Riverside Business Park, Blyth, Northumberland NE24 4RR

Map and More about E-Trakka Fasteners Ltd ()...

Never used them but they are local to you

Tell them you want a high tensile bolt the same size as the one you have (+ the snapped off bit)

The hole being tapped means its had the thread re cut

As for cost I would hope you get change out of 50p

Steve

Guest sritony
Hi Tony

Pleased to see you are getting your hands dirty LOL

Try giving these a shot

E-Trakka Fasteners Ltd Nuts & Bolts

Tel: 01670 545552 Unit 35, Grasmere Way, Blyth Riverside Business Park, Blyth, Northumberland NE24 4RR

Map and More about E-Trakka Fasteners Ltd ()...

Never used them but they are local to you

Tell them you want a high tensile bolt the same size as the one you have (+ the snapped off bit)

The hole being tapped means its had the thread re cut

As for cost I would hope you get change out of 50p

Steve

Ah cheers Steve I will give them a look on tuesday or something :), missing out on a cracking day of poss driving today which is a bit of a pain!.

Well i went to one car shop and they were going to charge me 6.50 for a bolt granted was canny big but was a bit of a shock!

Guest pencil

Hi Tony

Try looking on car builder solutions if you download there catalogue at the end there is a list of "spanner sizes" ie M10 = 17mm spanner.

As for tensile strength I use 8.8 (letters/numbers on bolt head) near enough everywhere and go for 12.9 for things like caliper fixing bolts.

Its a bit confusing at first but print it off put it in tool box and use the spanner that fits and cross reference it with download, just watch for the Japanese

bolts/nuts as they play by different rules!

John

Guest sritony
Hi Tony

Try looking on car builder solutions if you download there catalogue at the end there is a list of "spanner sizes" ie M10 = 17mm spanner.

As for tensile strength I use 8.8 (letters/numbers on bolt head) near enough everywhere and go for 12.9 for things like caliper fixing bolts.

Its a bit confusing at first but print it off put it in tool box and use the spanner that fits and cross reference it with download, just watch for the Japanese

bolts/nuts as they play by different rules!

John

Ah well the 17mm rachet thing was the size that fitted the nut on the bit that had went on so i guess thats what i am looking for! well i need a strong one, but looking on that website now at the cat :) need a rear view mirror too so might come in handy!

Guest sritony
Ah well the 17mm rachet thing was the size that fitted the nut on the bit that had went on so i guess thats what i am looking for! well i need a strong one, but looking on that website now at the cat :) need a rear view mirror too so might come in handy!

so would a 8.8 be strong enough for alt?

I have bought a 75mm and a 105mm 8.8 10m off ebay and seen a few things from that website!