Windscreen Wipers

Guest paul mercer

Guest paul mercer

i'm doing all the wiring from scratch, and only have a couple of things left to wire, one of which is the wipers. knowing how the wiring diagrams are laid out in haynes manuals, hopefully someone can empathise with my problem and help.

i used a 2l dohc 93k as a donor with rear w/w. i tried wiring up as i thought was correct, but alas. nothing. i've now aquired a switch without rear w/w but again alas. some of the difficulties may have been that, i'm trying to bypass the dimmer sw, diagram, shows rear w/w version only, i may not be as competent as i hoped!

units that need connecting are: wiper sw, intermittant relay (not really necessary unles legally required), wiper motor.

any help welcome, as i have no idea how the circuit works.

thanks in advance

• 1 month later...
Guest paul mercer

i'm using a new lucas type motor (mini) and apart from that, it's all '93 sierra glsi. i'm not overly bothered about the intermittant, but would like two speed. am i presuming you may be able to help??

many thanks if you can.

Paul,

I am assuming that the wiper motor you have has the same colour wires as the mini one.

Try this -

Wiper connections . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Switch connections

Black (31) . . . . . . . . . . . . . earth

Orange/Green (53A) . . . . Fused 12V supply

Brown/Green (31B) . . . . . Park . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Brown/White (B1)

Blue/Green (53B) . . . . . . Fast speed . . . . . . . . . Red (53B)

Red/green (53) . . . . . . . Normal speed . . . . . . . Green (53)

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Fused 12V supply . . . . Black/Violet (54)

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Washer power feed . . . Black (53C)

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Washer earth . . . . . . Black/yellow (W)

There is also a terminal on top of the switch that has to be earthed.

This is as simple as I can make it using the wiring diagram, although why Ford use the switch to earth the washer motor is beyond me.

Les

Guest paul mercer

wow. this looks great. it's certainly a lot simpler than the diagram i've got at home. will try and give it a go tomorrow, as i'm not going into work till later than usual.

will let you know how it went.

thanks

Guest paul mercer

1 down, 1 to go. this worked great. thanks. now all i have to do is figure the abs wiring. hmmm! i've taken your diagram and description and saved it in 'word' for my own easy reading. if anyone wants a copy( spaced properly) e-mail me at pmercer@ford.com and i'll send it as attachment.

thanks a lot les. :) :) :)

paul.

Edited by paul mercer

Guest john

H Les,

Well his email is 'ford.com' Looks like Paul could pass ona tip or two to the rest of us . ! !

Sorry i missed you at Stoneleigh, had a lot to buy. ;) ;)

John.

Guest paul mercer

hi les,

i've fitted the abs modules and just need to wire the loom into the vehicle loom. was a bit of a pain in the arse, and i've had to get the resevoir shortened so that i can shut the bonnet. i thought that if i could possibly fit it then it's definately worth it. i've had abs on the last 6-7 cars and it's got me out of a few nasty situations when people pull out in front of me etc. the wierd thing about the loom is that when i look at the two multi pugs that go into the vehicle, they don't appear on the diagrams, so i've got to work out where the wires correspond to on the diagrams. think i've got it sorted, but want a second opinion before i wire it in. a mate of a mate is and auto electrician, so i'm gonna try and get him down.

thanks for the wiper info again. had me going mad for ages!!