Engine Problems ! Help Needed !

Guest wazza1986

Guest wazza1986

hi people, I'm having a bit of trouble with my hood and getting annoyed and skint lol.

The problem iv got is car idles and revs fine when still but as soon as on road and put foot down (even gradualy) it dies and then missfires and sometimes stalls. Here are a list of things iv changed to brand new or recon parts.

Head, leads, plugs

Fuel, filter, pump,

coil, distributer cap and arm.

carburettor 38dgas(maybe need setting up)

The only thing I haven't changed is the distributor.

so surely it can only be the carb or distributor or maybe ignition timming(even thou it got timed provesionaly) but not convinced as turned distributor a bit and it went a bit better.

So any help or suggestions will hopefuly end the troubles and I can eventualy take on road for first time this year.

cheers lee

hmmm mine does a similar thing. Iam thinking it is the carb on mine (iam running a weber 2v). I believe what is happening is there is a blockage in the jet of the secondary venturi. If your carb works in a similar way then the secondary venturi only opens when there is a strong vacuum under heavy load. I am thinking when you floor it and it gets to the point it opens the secondary venturi there is no extra fuel just air so it weakens the overall fuel mix hence spluttering. I blew through the carb teh other day and saw some aluminium salts come out of the secondary jet housing and it got a bit better but i think ive missed some somwhere because its still not running nicely when under load and runs out of power quite quickly.

I also changed my leads plugs cap and rotor and checked the ignition timing so there aint much left it can be ^_^

going to have a go at soaking it in cleaner overnight when the weather is a bit worse as its still fun driving it at the moment.

hth

Guest robinj66

Not sure if this will help (since the previous carb gave the same problems) but here is the set-up guide for the DGAS DGAS Guide

You might be well advised to take out the idle and main jets and blow them through - I had Cr*p in a brand new one!

The standard DGAS is jetted for a 3 litre so it may not be jetted right for your engine.

Guest Nigel Novice

Just check your Tanks vented or that the vents not blocked, they need to get air in as the fuel leaves, on some cars the vents in the cap and if you put a sporty one on it wont vent and things down that line which is probably why it dies even going slowly its creating a vacuum in the tank.

hth

Guest wazza1986

hi yes the tank is vented, and fuel line is ok because ran it from a jerry can and done the same.

also iv notice a couple of things, but dont know what these could cause.

The exhaust has split on tube as comes off manifold so air getting out

The inline fuel filter only ever seems to have approx 1cm of fuel in the bottom.