3.92 To 3.62 ?

speedtripledan

was going to change my drum braked rear for disc just looked at it all the drum is a 3.92 the disc is a 3.62 what differance will this make to top end and 0 to 60 ?

does this increase the gearing or drop it ?

the car pulls 5th from 25mph at the min and will get to 110 no problem.

Dan

Guest woolly

from 3.9 to 3.6 will make the final gearing higher

depending on engine power it will go faster but you will use 3 4 gear more.

speedo will be incorect in this case under read

woolly

Guest salty_monk

I changed from a 3.92 to 4.62 on one of my cars.. made a big difference. Maybe because it had big wings on it but really had "no go" top end.

On my latest one with cycle wings 3.62 seems ok.

They both have mildly modded 2l (38 dgas, 285 cam etc).

It really makes not a lot of diff to terminal velocity. First car I needed 4th to get to terminal (probably because of the big wings I guess)

Dan :)

Not found a 3.6 lobro yet, all mine have been 3.92.

I have just stripped a loose one out and getting the side shafts out is easy, drop off backplate, remove circlips and out they slide. unscrewing the caps took a little persuasion but changing from push shafts to lobro or Vice versa should not be beyond a Hoodie.

3.62 will mean you can cruise at lower revs, but you loose the acceleration that the 3.92 allows.

I can pull away in 3rd and change into 4th at 80+ mph !! (pulling away in second is better - goes with the BMW's).!st is only for steep hills) ---I would fit a 3.6 if I had one.

Graham B

Guest chris brown

I changed from 3.92 with drums to 3.62 LSD with lobro's and discs. I much prefer it with the 3.62 as it brings the revs down just that bit making long runs much better and the difference on acceleration isn’t that noticeable, no doubt it would be if you did allot of track work.

main reason for wanting to change is to be able to pop 60 without needing 3rd. sense bike carb conversion the car has so much more torque and power it is just feeling undergeared all the time 1st you either wheelspin or change up almost instantly and 5th can be pulled from 25mph.

The other reason is my 3.92 is whinning a bit. and i've had the 3.62 lying around in the garage sense stripping a 2.0Ldohc h plate sierra 18months ago for spares.

Had no idea what i had sitting there till someone else started the diff thread. Shame its not lsd.

Thanks for your input.

Dan

c u at stonleigh if your there