Ramps

Guest sritony

Guest sritony

I am looking for a pair of ramps as jacking the car up can sometimes be a bit of a pain and don't get much hight on it, I had some ramps some years ago when I had my first corsa and damaged it and was much easier to work on but no idea where they went or what size they were.

I have seen some in yellow paper for a tenner 20.5cm high and 88cm long steel ramps, will this give me the room under the car to work in or should I be looking at more higher ones?

Guest neil stobbart

Tony,

20cm high is a fairly typical height for standard ramps. A tenner sounds good but make sure you do a thorough visual to check for defects before you purchase and make sure they have end stops to prevent you driving off the other end!

Neil

Guest sritony

so just check for cracks etc in the frame work?

Need to get under car soon to get alt off so I can get it reconditioned just waiting for the rain and wind to stop haha!

Guest neil stobbart

Ideally they should have been manufactured by a company, rather than home made as you can be more certain of what you're getting (though I'm not criticising home fabbed efforts as they can be more robust / heavy duty!). Do a good visual inspection, looking for cracks / damage and paying attention to welds - if they've just been painted walk away as you can't be sure what's been hidden - can't afford for them to fail while you're under the car!

The extra height will certainly improve access to that damned alternator!

Neil

Guest sritony

Thank you for the info I will have a good look at them, prob won't be before end of week before I can get there to look.... cuz I want that alt off and out of the car lol........been boring many people at work today about my weekend stuck on a hill :D