Alternatives To A Sierra

Guest paulh

Guest paulh

Hi all, i'm (finally) getting close to realising the long standing ambition and buying my first kit. just 8 weeks now until i get my garage! I was looking at the Zero Kit website and it obviously still has everything based on Sierra running gear. I have a close friend who is in the motor trade keeping an eye out for me, however, this week he has had in two crash-damaged cars which could be suitable, and i wondered if either of them would be suitable for the Zero? Both these cars can be had by me for free, since i upkeep his business network for him for free!!

3 Series BMW (6 pot)

MK1 MX5 1.8i

Don't suppose either of these would fit in the Zero AND be easy enough for a first timer? I also have him keeping an eye out for a crashed Ford with a Zetec lump in incase i decide to go Sieraa/ Zetec rather than Sierra/ Pinto!!

Guest george_lincoln

There are kits available that would use those donors, but then you wouldnt have a robin hood.

GKD do bmw based kits, although the legend might only take the 4 pot engines.

MNR and Westfield do single donor kits based around the mazda.

hi

well i dont know for sure but from my understanding there are a few things to consider. The Zero was designed to use the front hubs and rear diff/driveshaft/hubs. It would be best to stick with this at least as the work here has been done and would need everything to be re-designed for new parts. As for the engine there is less of a reason not to try something different. All you would need is to change the prop shaft to mate the new gearbox to the sierra diff.

MX5 engine and gearbox is prob a better choice but ive no idea if it fits, you may need to move plenum chambers (but you'll prob have to do that on a ford engine anyway). Ive heard that the bmw engines are very tall and cannot easily be fitted, they are used a lot in Marlins though so there may be information on a marlin forum if one exists.

It all depends on how confident you are in doing things yourself. For example you could probably use the mx5 steering column etc but you'd have to make mounts and possibly run it in a different position to the sierra one. It would be more work possibly but it would be unique and have a good engine from what ive heard of the mx.

hth