Is This A Record? Can Or Have You Beaten It?

Guest buzzmason

Guest buzzmason

Hi All...

For those of you that have not read my other post.. Italian Job Completed… here is what happened in brief…

I drove from my sisters in Northampton to my home in Italy some 1645k (1020m) away, Including the stop for 1 hours sleep, this journey took 23hours… In my new 2B

My challenge is….

Is this a record for the longest drive, distance or time, without an overnight stop????

What have you managed????? Where did you go???? And what tales can you tell us?????

Cheers

Buzz

I remember once going on hols with my parents, we were getting the ferry from Portsmouth. My parents live near Cardiff and at the time I lived in Manchester.

Drove from Manchester to Cardiff to get in the car with them (200 miles). Realised I'd forgotton my passport, back to Manchester (200 miles). Then straight to Portsmouth (250 miles). I was stopped twice by the plod on the way from Manchester to Portsmouth but just a check.

I did this all in 8 hours, really lucky that there were no jams or traffic and there wasn't much plod about so kept my foot down pretty much all the way.

I was wrecked after

Guest Alasdair

Er, A while ago (well, in the late 70's actually) I was attending the Post Office training school in Staffordshire and I would commute up on a Sunday afternoon from Luton. Distance:140 miles. Time taken: 100 minutes. Vehicle: Moto Guzzi.

But then again, Your Honour, this could all have been a dream, or someone could have hacked my account and posted this on my behalf...

Guest peter2b2002

same here, back in the early 70's I went from Ashford- Kent to Uxbridge 75 miles via the A205 in by bosses Cavalier so that I could get to a birthday party by 10pm, left Ashford @ 21.15 walked through the door @ 5 past 10

mind you it was so long ago Your Honour it could have been a dream after all the lemonade I drunk at the party

I did matlock to Cannes in one go 21hrs just stopping for the ferry and fuel which was plenty in a 3.3L voyager don,t know if i,d fancy doing it my hood don,t know if it would get there or if i could walk afterwards if it did !

3month later i did the same in reverse but had a slight problem my fuel line had been damaged by the nice french people who drained my fuel tank after they impounded my car i left it there one weekend when i flew back they decided to do some work on the port right where my car was parked so towed it i only realized there was a problem about 100miles in when my tank was empty should have gone 350miles what really "upset" me i,d left the keys with a friend on the boat i was working on so if they'd asked it could have been moved.

Good job i had all my tools with me so i could fix it there and then.

Dan

Guest Larson250

From Leicester to Valencia only stopping on the Chunnel for 35 mins. Assisted by Nurofen and 6 cans of Red Bull, at the end my eyes were on stalks.

My very best claim to fame was Stapleton (Leics) to Michael Wood services (Bristol M5) in 45 mins around about 100 miles.

Never mind made it up after a drink, Prove It!!!

Dean

Guest buzzmason
I remember once going on hols with my parents, we were getting the ferry from Portsmouth. My parents live near Cardiff and at the time I lived in Manchester.

Drove from Manchester to Cardiff to get in the car with them (200 miles). Realised I'd forgotton my passport, back to Manchester (200 miles). Then straight to Portsmouth (250 miles). I was stopped twice by the plod on the way from Manchester to Portsmouth but just a check.

I did this all in 8 hours, really lucky that there were no jams or traffic and there wasn't much plod about so kept my foot down pretty much all the way.

I was wrecked after

Struth Taff... you where lucky and what a start to your holiday.... I hope the rest of your holiday was better than the begining...

I travel a lot for my business and I'm always paranoid about where my passport is, although saying that, I find it very strange that when ever I drive from Italy to the UK or Uk to Italy I only show my passport once.... at the Chunnel... France-Swiss border no... Italian-Swiss border no

I must admit that when I do the trip (Italy to UK) it normally only takes me 12 hours to get to Calais... Not much legal about it :rolleyes:

Guest buzzmason
Er, A while ago (well, in the late 70's actually) I was attending the Post Office training school in Staffordshire and I would commute up on a Sunday afternoon from Luton. Distance:140 miles. Time taken: 100 minutes. Vehicle: Moto Guzzi.

But then again, Your Honour, this could all have been a dream, or someone could have hacked my account and posted this on my behalf...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Did you pass the training school????? I guess if you did you slowed down then as I remember the mail is always slow in the UK :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Guest buzzmason
same here, back in the early 70's I went from Ashford- Kent to Uxbridge 75 miles via the A205 in by bosses Cavalier so that I could get to a birthday party by 10pm, left Ashford @ 21.15 walked through the door @ 5 past 10

mind you it was so long ago Your Honour it could have been a dream after all the lemonade I drunk at the party

You sure it was lemonade and not the start of Dementia or Alzheimer?????? :D :D

I didn’t think things went that fast those many years ago… Except over a cliff with a wind behind you :lol: :lol: :lol:

Guest buzzmason
HA!

I spent many weeks at the post office school in stone staffordshire during my youth!!

Can't remember some of them :D

Hi Zoomzoom... I can relate to that... I too have many gaps in my life with only flash-backs of mountains of empty bottles and cans :rolleyes:

Question... are you and Alasdair related, friends or the same person??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Guest buzzmason
I did matlock to Cannes in one go 21hrs just stopping for the ferry and fuel which was plenty in a 3.3L voyager don,t know if i,d fancy doing it my hood don,t know if it would get there or if i could walk afterwards if it did !

3month later i did the same in reverse but had a slight problem my fuel line had been damaged by the nice french people who drained my fuel tank after they impounded my car i left it there one weekend when i flew back they decided to do some work on the port right where my car was parked so towed it i only realized there was a problem about 100miles in when my tank was empty should have gone 350miles what really "upset" me i,d left the keys with a friend on the boat i was working on so if they'd asked it could have been moved.

Good job i had all my tools with me so i could fix it there and then.

Dan

Yeah, that's the only problem with France... there's too many French people in it :D

If it happened in the UK they would just have towed your car away, charged you a second mortgage to get it out and then fined you for parking your car on yellow lines that were painted after they moved your car… or am I just being cynical?????

Guest buzzmason
From Leicester to Valencia only stopping on the Chunnel for 35 mins. Assisted by Nurofen and 6 cans of Red Bull, at the end my eyes were on stalks.

My very best claim to fame was Stapleton (Leics) to Michael Wood services (Bristol M5) in 45 mins around about 100 miles.

Never mind made it up after a drink, Prove It!!!

Dean

Struth Dean... that is some going :good:

I have managed East Kilbride to Milton Keynes (350miles ish) early one morning about 7years ago in about 3hours

During my journey to Italy it was done purely on strong coffee, good old nicotine and very bland sandwiches :bad:

Guest erichetherington

Can't remember how long the journey took but went from Avimore to Ludlow via Mid Wales in a day and then decided to go out and see ShaWaddyWaddy that night. Wish I had that stamina/stupidity still.

3 years ago my brother myself and a friend drove an RV across canada from Toronto to vancouver. Took 6 weeks in all, fantastic trip. I did all the driving as my brother was too young for the hire place. To make sure we got everything in i drove for 11 hours from the top of the rockies down to vancouver. Mind you we a fully stocked fridge and plenty of tea (well iam british :) )

It was a pretty slow trip mind you cruise control set to 80kph across the entire continent. Still only got 10mpg, mind you it was a 24ft RV with a full size double bed at the back, separate toilet and shower, full size fridge freezer, big kitchen etc would sleep 6 easily so amazing for the 3 of us.

Look for the one-way specials on the vans as it is so cheap as you are basically taking the van back for them. Overall for 6 weeks including food, van hire, flights and going into places cost £1300 each.