Exhaust Joint

Jez Morton

This is a minor but anoying issue, the joint between the 4 branch and side pipe keeps breaking its seal leading to excessive exhaust popping when decellerating. I've tried silicon for flexibility and that failed so I tried exhaust paste and that didnt last. I have a 2b plus EFI pinto with the standard exhaust 4-1 manifold and silencer.

Any ideas how to reliably seal this joint.

Thanks

Jez

Guest vigor

Hi Jez I have a similar problem so will be interested in any replies you get...my manifold goes from 4 to 2 I think its cast steel then 2 into 1 in stainless and have noticed its loose..

cheers john

What kind of clamp do you have on the joint? I find normal D-clamps work well as they slightly crimp the joint, the only downside being it makes it a little harder to separate it at a later date. Or if you're feeling flush those spangly stainless band clamps should do the trick.

Guest Alex Spratt

I used exhaust putty from halfords and cut a fine V out of the outer pipe about an inch long (my outer pipe covers about 4 inches of the inner pipe) then clamped the pipe with a D shaped clamp to crush the end of the pipe, then removed it and replaced it with 2 stainless band clamps over the V cut with a little exhaust putty to fill any gaps.

No leak so far but ive only been back and forth to Sva twice!!!! 60 ish miles.

Dont buy the stainless band from CBS they are very expensive and they sent me the wrong size, went to a local exhaust place brought two the right size for 2/3 the price for 2!!

Hope this helps

Al

Guest peter2b2002

could be the rear exhaust mount is too stiff, I changed mine to two mini cotton reel type mounts, no leaks after 8k miles, still pops & bangs on over run though :D :D

peter2b