Please Don't Laugh

Knock-on

:huh:

Don't ask me what it's playing at but it switches on when it gets cold and off when it warms up?

The sensor is one of the little dial ones with a coil of wire and an end that slots between the water pipe and the Rad.

At the moment the thermostat is wired directly to the battery Live with the out running to the fan. The fan is also directly earthed.

Now, I know I'm doing something silly and the wisened old Sages are probably spluttering into their Mug of Ale at my gross stupidity but how the hell do you educate a Thermostat to tow the line and make a connection when it's hot and not when it cools?

Thanks

Guest peter2b2002

it may have a double pole switch, ie 3 connections, i so 1 is common, 1 is NO, the last is NC , if so try swapping the NO/NC connections

peter2b

Guest mark kingston
it may have a double pole switch, ie 3 connections, i so 1 is common, 1 is NO, the last is NC , if so try swapping the NO/NC connections

peter2b

is it wired in through a relay to pull the fan in???

If so it sounds like you have a normally closed relay rather than a normally open.

regards

mark

I wouldn't have a clue Nick as I'm a bit of a Monkey when it comes to Electrics ;)

I've chatted to the supplier and he has said he will replace it even though it's a couple of years old.

Can't say fairer than that :D

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Chris_

I have a similar setup on my old jeep so it fails safe in the event of the relay dieing.

Just get yourself a 'change over' type (with 5 pins on the base) relay.

Run live to one side of your thermo switch, then on to the coil of the relay, the other side of the relay to ground.

On a standard relay this will make the fan run all the time untill the engine gets hot :huh: so make sure the fan is connected to the other pin.

Only problem with this is that the relay is energised all the time so unless it is all fed from an ignition switched live it will flatten the battery over a couple of days. I've simply got a relay, powered by the positive of the ignition coil supplying the fan (amongst other things)

Hope this helps

Chris