Exhaust Decibals

Just bought a sound meter to test my car as i want to do some trackdays, the track is imposing 102 db 1st day i wanted then 98 db on others. just measured my 2B pinto at 108db @ 5000revs not moving can only assume it would be more if intake noise was included while moving with foot down.

Any ideas where i can get a good exhaust that will come in at 98 db ?

Dan

How close to the exhaust pipe end are you? I've seen measurements taken right at the pipe and according to the IVA "bumpf" I've read that's too close and will give too high a reading. You want 3/4 maximum power engine speed (5000 rpm sounds too high but will depend opn your engine of course) at 50 cm "downwind" of the pipe exit.

Guest mower man

Hi re exhaust, I got a realy good repackable stainless silencer from MK SPORTS CARS 130quid its quiet ,looks good and seems to have improved both perfmance and mpg, give em a ring.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Stuart wilson

In rallying noise is usally checked at 50cm from tail pipe and at 4500rpm, 100db is the norm for most events forest, tarmac or race circuit type. Think the only one I have doen that was lower was one at MIRA which was 98db @4500rpm