Series 3a Info

niduncan

Met a guy at Newark who was very interested in my Series 3, turns out he has bought a part built 3A (inboard shocks). He is going to join the club but does not have any internet access so I am trying to find out some info for him.

His car is a runner but he has no build information or photos of the build. He is having trouble with the electrics (no wiring diagrams) and would like any information on what wiring instructions came with the kit. In addition, what vehicle did the original supplied instrument cluster and steering column switches come from?

He would also like to make contact with anybody who has managed to get a Series 3A through SVA/IVA. He lives in March, Cambridgeshire.

Any info would be gratefully received.

I am supplying him with copies of the Series 3 build videos and a copy of the original 3a sales brochure.

Nigel, i still have the CD you sent me 4 years back with all your info, i also have the original wiring info for the S3a, its based on a Cortina fuse box (or very early Sierra) i also have the original loom as i went with the Vicky Green one.

I got my S3a through SVA last July (first time) main areas of concern are the seat belt mounts, the seat belt effective height, i welded a bar across the roll bar at the correct height, and the seats and mountings.

I am in Chelmsford so not to far down the M11 from March.

Your contact is welcome to come and have a look at my car and if he supplies me with an address i will copy the info i have and post them on.

Original instrument cluster and switches were Sierra.

Column switches with square hazzard switch are early Sierra, no relays required, later switches with round hazzard switch requires relays.

Hi Paul, the guy's name is Roy, I shall PM you his address.

According to the 3A sales brochure that I have it came with a new instrument cluster, column switches and fusebox. Roy suspects that the cluster and switches are from a Fiesta, definitely not Sierra, which probably means that the wiring is completely different to the Sierra column switches!

I think the 3A came in a couple of different configurations, inboard front shocks, outboard front shocks, loads of extras that did not come with the 3: servo, discs, callipers, air horns, instrument cluster, column switches and fusebox.

He will be very thankful for any info you can send him.

Cheers,

Nigel.