Engine Temp

Guest Rik

Hi

Could anyone tell me what temp a 2.0 Litre pinto with a 285 cam and downdraft should be running at in a 2b+. The car has a electric fan mounted on the front of the rad and it kicks in about 90c and once the engine warms up runs all the time and when u switch of runs on for about 15mins and then stops.

Should I put the engine fan blades on and run the two of them or because 1 is blowing in front of the rad and the engine fan blades are blowing behind the rad will they cancel each orther out.

I have tried both on and electric fan still cuts in and runs on after engine is switched of for about 15mins

Thanks for all your help as Iam a newbie.

The thermostat opens at 88 degs on my similar spec engine it runs at around 90 degs most of the time going up to 95 hard driving. Fan set at around 90 degs.

Adding the engine driven fan will help to expell the hot engine bay air as will adding some vents.

If the radiator is open in the nose some ducting will help the cool air to go through the rad not round it.

I have wired my fan so as to turn off when i take the ignition key out.

Guest Ian & Carole

I also find after a good blast that our fan stays on for quite a while, but just by chance the other day I had to start the car agian straight away and after about 10 seconds the fan turned its self off, I can only assume I have a "Hot Spot" that disperses when the engine runs again, if that makes sence.

Might be worth just trying that.

The thermostat opens at 88 degs on my similar spec engine it runs at around 90 degs most of the time going up to 95 hard driving. Fan set at around 90 degs.

Adding the engine driven fan will help to expell the hot engine bay air as will adding some vents.

If the radiator is open in the nose some ducting will help the cool air to go through the rad not round it.

I have wired my fan so as to turn off when i take the ignition key out.

Yes but if I add the engine fan , will they not be blowing against each orther?

Should I wire electric fan to turn of when i take the key out or just keep it the way it is to ade cooling of engine?

Guest pwlcarz

The 2 fans shouldn't be working against each other - the engine driven fan behind the rad will be 'pulling' air through. The electric fan in front of the rad will (should be, unless you have the wrong type!!) 'blowing' air through, therefore both will (should) be working to move air in the same direction.

My engine runs at about 85 degrees and my fan cuts in at 80. Is this too cool?

I know my legs get bloody warm so don't want it any hotter.

As an aside, do people insulate the foot wells? I'm thinking of putting something there to try and keep some heat out and putting some exhaust tape on the down pipes.

Guest zoomzoom

My zero with a pinto and a flat radiator has the fan set to come on at 95 degrees. This works ok and the engine will idle and run around town without going any higher, but when on a run at ''motorway speeds'' (70 mph max :spiteful: ) the temp went up and up until it overheated.At the weekend I fitted a duct to flow air from the nose up to the rad and this has lowered the temp to 85 to 90 around town and now on a run at ''motorway speeds'' it stays at 98 max.

80 Degrees seems a little low, and like you my prop tunnel get VERY hot so I will add some heat proofing asap.

Marcus

Guest zoomzoom

Once upon a time a little bear had a exhaust guard fitted to pass the sva test, and during this test the exhaust guard fell off after mr sva man touched it.

It then got run over by said little bear in his kit car and a great big hgv lorry turning into the sva centre for a mot test. But by good luck this turned it into the purfect shape for a radiator duct.

The end.

:D

I used silver bubble wrap type insulation on the engine bay bulkhead and the gearbox tunnel with proper heat mat on the inside of the drivers footwell, then covered in camping mat then carpet.

The exhaust manifold is double wrapped.

Its comfortable, not too warm but also not cold.